• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Stevie Ray Vaughan

WFU71

Older than Dirt
Reaction score
SRV died 25 years ago today. This song was a tribute to Charley Wirz, who worked on Stevie Ray's guitars. The guitar Vaughan is playing, known as The Charley Stratocaster, was assembled by Wirz.

Hell of a guitarist. Gone too soon, but not really too soon for someone who was doing 7 grams of coke a day and washing it down with an entire bottle of whiskey.

Favorite player of all time. Absolutely no competition.

Hell of a guitarist. Gone too soon, but not really too soon for someone who was doing 7 grams of coke a day and washing it down with an entire bottle of whiskey.

He had been sober for years when he died in a helicopter crash.

He had been sober for years when he died in a helicopter crash.

Yeah, but the years of drugs and booze obviously led to his early demise. It takes a cumulative toll.

I like to think that had he still been coked out of his mind he never would have ridden on a helicopter.

You know, Dale Earnhardt's death wasn't surprising based on his high cholesterol diet.

The joke was as such: despite dying in a helicopter crash, which I think we can all agree is "too soon" for anyone, he was pretty much right on track given his INCREDIBLE drug and alcohol habits.

That'll teach me to dare think you people could put that together, or that it was a good joke in the first place, or that I should ever try to do anything on the internet.

Sulking away now, k bye!

Weirdest bill I ever saw. SRV and Huey Lewis & the News, at the Omni in ATL. Around '84.

Chris Hayes is a helluva guitarist in his own right. SRV was fresh off playing with Bowie on the Let's Dance album and had just released his second album. He had a big following and appreciation among musicians, but not the wide exposure to the masses. Opening for Huey Lewis was a good way to get it.

Yeah, but the end was very...very sudden.

image.png

Back