• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Stoglin or CJ

EagleDeac

Reaction score
Was glancing at the Maryland board and they have a thread debating the merits of Stoglin. There are more supporters, but still a number of detractors. Major complaints from detractors are his selfishness - very few passes and poor shot selection - and his ineffective defense. His supporters point out that he really doesn't have any good options to pass to and that causes him to take on an added burden. They point out that without his contributions Maryland would be a lot worse than they already are. I tend to agree with the supporters.

Not sure why, but it made me think about CJ. As much as I respect him and his game, there are so many times I would like to see him force his offense instead of passing up opportunities. I don't know how many times I've seen him come off a screen and receive a pass only to pass up an open shot, although the opening is often very brief. He is easily the best player on the team and should take on more of a scoring burden than he does (yes I realize his PPG are pretty high in the league).

Anyway, just wondering which do you think is the better player and which would you rather have on the Deacs.

CJ is criminally underrated by our fans. Would like to see him be more aggressive at times though. Hope he has a huge year next year when he has some PG help.

But to answer your question, definitely CJ.

CJ is better than Stoglin who is just a volume shooter.

CJ is better on offense according to KenPom and they're both probably close to even on defense.

CJ is criminally underrated by our fans. Would like to see him be more aggressive at times though. Hope he has a huge year next year when he has some PG help.

But to answer your question, definitely CJ.

I guess I agree and disagree. On one hand, CJ probably deserves more enthusiastic support from our fans. On the other hand, I can't remember the last time I've seen anything "negative" posted about CJ. He doesn't have any detractors, so it's hard to think he's "criminally" underrated.

When I think of "criminally underrated," I think of Ish Smith. He was a very talented player who many of our fans denounced as "not ACC material." I just don't see the same thing happening with CJ. He's a boss, and I think everyone acknowledges that.

If by 'many of our fans,' you mean Fish and an offhand trolling comment or two by Ph, then I agree.

I really like CJ as a player and haven't watched MD enough to have too strong of an opinion on Stoglin. Therefore, I will ignorantly and happily say CJ.

There have been comments on whether CJ could start for other ACC teams.

CJ is the superior player, but I am not convinced that he believes that himself. He should take 10 more shots per game.

In a vacuum? CJ.

In reality? That greedy, talented Maryland twat.

CJ creates offense in multiple ways. And he's very good at it. Stoglin can work at Arby's after his gig at Maryland for all I care.

Back