• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Student Tailgate

The only ALE experience I had:

At the Elon game a few years ago, these drunk guys from Elon somehow got a Gold Lot pass and were a few spots down from our usual spot. They brought a pickup truck with a few guys who were already hammered at 10 in the morning laying in the bed of the truck. A couple wandered down to our tailgate and we told them that they needed to bring some young Elon tail over to our tailgate if they wanted to hang out.

Five minutes later, they come back with a couple freshman girls from Elon. We're talking nice to the girls, but we tell them that our tailgate is BYOB so they need to go fill up some cups from the Elon keg down the row and bring them down.

While the girls are walking back to our tailgate with two full cups of beer in each hand, a car pulls up and asks them for an ID. ALE. Busted.

In the 2009-2010 school year they had no less that 40 tickets a game and in one game they wrote up 90+ kids. There was one officer out to get Wake but he is gone. For this season it was back to normal numbers at like around 10 citations per game.

ALE only made two appearances in the parking lot during the 2010 tailgate season...homecoming and senior fifth. I cant recall a specific number for homecoming but it wasn't more than 15. Most of the citations handed out at homecoming to students happened after the game on Baity Street. Only one was issued at the final game of the year.

Last edited:
ALE only made two appearances in the parking lot during the 2010 tailgate season...homecoming and senior fifth. I cant recall a specific number for homecoming but it wasn't more than 15. Most of the citations handed out at homecoming to students happened after the game on Baity Street. Only one was issued at the final game of the year.

The 2009-2010 school year was the 2009 tailgate "season." And I know for a fact that ALE was at every single home game that year.

There's a job opening for an "Associate Director, Winston-Salem Open Marketing/Outside Events". You tennis/sports marketing guys should apply.

There's a job opening for an "Associate Director, Winston-Salem Open Marketing/Outside Events". You tennis/sports marketing guys should apply.

Thanks for the heads up. Considering tennis + sports marketing has basically been my life the past 18 years, I'll definitely look into this.

Anyone have any connections/contacts they know that I could get in touch with? Feel free to PM me.

The 2009-2010 school year was the 2009 tailgate "season." And I know for a fact that ALE was at every single home game that year.

not disputing that in the least. I had 2 run-ins with ALE as a student and i am not a fan of theirs.

ALE were out in force in 2009, but only came to 2 games in 2010 and were not overly aggressive. the entire 2010 football season combined had fewer ALE citations issued and students written up than any single game in 2009.

not disputing that in the least. I had 2 run-ins with ALE as a student and i am not a fan of theirs.

ALE were out in force in 2009, but only came to 2 games in 2010 and were not overly aggressive. the entire 2010 football season combined had fewer ALE citations issued and students written up than any single game in 2009.

I think this was likely due to a push by the Student Government and Wake administration after the 2009 football season. I know the SG president personally asked for narratives of overzealous ALE agents and their run-ins with students. There were no shortages of ridiculous actions from the ALE that year. I'm hoping that the school made a strong statement to the ALE that harassment of students would not be tolerated at a Wake event.

The only ALE experience I had:

At the Elon game a few years ago, these drunk guys from Elon somehow got a Gold Lot pass and were a few spots down from our usual spot. They brought a pickup truck with a few guys who were already hammered at 10 in the morning laying in the bed of the truck. A couple wandered down to our tailgate and we told them that they needed to bring some young Elon tail over to our tailgate if they wanted to hang out.

Five minutes later, they come back with a couple freshman girls from Elon. We're talking nice to the girls, but we tell them that our tailgate is BYOB so they need to go fill up some cups from the Elon keg down the row and bring them down.

While the girls are walking back to our tailgate with two full cups of beer in each hand, a car pulls up and asks them for an ID. ALE. Busted.

you wouldnt give beer to hot 18 year olds. what are you thinking?

kind of off topic, but i don't see how the atp fails in winston. the davis cup was here a few years ago and the joel was packed.

I didn't say they were hot. If they were, they would have gotten beer.

Yes, these are the types of activities I recommend for Wake students - giving girls beer and tailgaiting.

Types of activities I don't recommend - disc golf. Because you are not moving closer to getting laid at Wake playing disc golf (it's hard enough already), unless maybe you're Riley Skinner. Put the down discs, pick up a case of Busch light, and post up.

Also the last thing you want is the ALE to roll up right when you are handing freshmen girls booze.

So, it looks like the students are supposed to "tailgate" in this tennis area but there is no parking at all in this area. I perceive a logistics problem. How are the students going to get all their huge frat tents, radios, kegs, ice, grills, and so forth over to these "grassy areas" without cars? Will they be allowed to drive in and unload/load before/after the games?

Doesn't really affect me at all but this seems like a huge glaring problem with the plan as stated on this thread.

There is designated parking for Deacon Cup teams, ie the new minutes sytem to entice Frats to stay for games. There won't be parking for every brother but each team will have like 2 or 3 designated parking spaces and the cars can leave and come back as many times as they want to.

There is designated parking for Deacon Cup teams, ie the new minutes sytem to entice Frats to stay for games. There won't be parking for every brother but each team will have like 2 or 3 designated parking spaces and the cars can leave and come back as many times as they want to.

What about everybody else?

I have a positive ALE story for you:

Two football seasons ago I was making a Beam and coke with the car door open to block the view. An ALE officer walked up and asked me what I was doing. I asked to see his badge and he chuckled and pulled it out from under his shirt. I told him I was making a mixed drink and that a stadium officer said it was fine as long as I did it in my car. The ALE looked at me and asked, "Did someone REALLY say that?" I looked down and said, "No..." He laughed and said, "Well, that looks like sweet tea to me. I'm going to take my badge and go this way and you're going to take your sweet tea and go that way. I had better not see you brewing any more sweet tea out of this car. Sound good?" "Yes sir, officer, thank you very much!" Seemed like a good dude, didn't even make me pour out my drink.

Back