• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Student Tailgating at Football Games

deacondamo

El Jefe
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm now an old with a high school aged daughter interested in Wake Forest. I attended Wake in the late 90's, early 00's and explained to her about how student tailgating was back then ("In my day...". A large lot, we flew our flag, set up a tent, had some food and kegs and everyone found us.

For obvious reasons, I have not been to a student tailgate since the early 00's. We went down to the BC game last weekend for her to see the school again and because I love October weather in Winston. I went to show her the student tailgate and it was probably the lamest thing imaginable. There were some tents up, but VERY few students. She made the observation that it appeared there were more security then students there.

Anyone have insight into this? Does student game day tailgating just suck now? Does it happen somewhere else? The previous weekend she spent in Gainesville at UF/LSU. Obviously, we won't reach those heights, but I was thinking it wouldn't be terrible. Was it the opponent? Thoughts are appreciated.

Is the student tailgate still on/around the tennis court area and heavily supervised or is there an alternative? I'm with you Damo, can't think of anything lamer than going into a "sanctioned" spot rife with people looking for underage drinking.

All you need is a car, a lot, chairs, red cups, and booze. Fond memories in the old lot throwing back some mimosas at 5:45 AM for a noon kick with @HailToTheDeacons and company. #backinourday

Ok, so I'm now an old with a high school aged daughter interested in Wake Forest. I attended Wake in the late 90's, early 00's and explained to her about how student tailgating was back then ("In my day...". A large lot, we flew our flag, set up a tent, had some food and kegs and everyone found us.

For obvious reasons, I have not been to a student tailgate since the early 00's. We went down to the BC game last weekend for her to see the school again and because I love October weather in Winston. I went to show her the student tailgate and it was probably the lamest thing imaginable. There were some tents up, but VERY few students. She made the observation that it appeared there were more security then students there.

Anyone have insight into this? Does student game day tailgating just suck now? Does it happen somewhere else? The previous weekend she spent in Gainesville at UF/LSU. Obviously, we won't reach those heights, but I was thinking it wouldn't be terrible. Was it the opponent? Thoughts are appreciated.
Man for some reason I thought you were like 20 years older than me. Now I’m depressed.

I remember when you could go back to the parking lot at halftime to tailgate and come back in the stadium.

Don't know what happened vs. BC, but the student section was suspect at best.

We took my daughter and a friend to the USC game this past weekend and they have two Fraternity Lots near the stadium. I think they had a little different experience than described above.

I have a friend at work whose daughter attends USC. The lot there is controlled by a guy, maybe late 30's, whom all the sorority girls refer to as Creepy Dude. Kids pay to get wristbands and drink.

If your comparison is SEC schools, then you will be disappointed.

I've been sitting on the East Side since I graduated, so I walk by the student tailgate every week. It's certainly not traditional, and I think it's actually more inclusive for non greek students. It usually seems really well attended and the kids are having fun when I walk by. It's better now with the one DJ than it was when it started and everyone was blaring their own music. The not being able to go out and tailgate at halftime is a bit of a bummer, but my 4 year old and my wife often go hangout on the seats out there during games for a noise/crowd break so that's good for us selfishly.

Is the student tailgate still on/around the tennis court area and heavily supervised or is there an alternative? I'm with you Damo, can't think of anything lamer than going into a "sanctioned" spot rife with people looking for underage drinking.

All you need is a car, a lot, chairs, red cups, and booze. Fond memories in the old lot throwing back some mimosas at 5:45 AM for a noon kick with @HailToTheDeacons and company. #backinourday
Yeah, it is unbelievably lame and I'm not joking when I say it looked like there were 30 kids in there and at least 10 security folks. My daughter was very confused.

If your comparison is SEC schools, then you will be disappointed.

I've been sitting on the East Side since I graduated, so I walk by the student tailgate every week. It's certainly not traditional, and I think it's actually more inclusive for non greek students. It usually seems really well attended and the kids are having fun when I walk by. It's better now with the one DJ than it was when it started and everyone was blaring their own music. The not being able to go out and tailgate at halftime is a bit of a bummer, but my 4 year old and my wife often go hangout on the seats out there during games for a noise/crowd break so that's good for us selfishly.
I agree about the SEC stuff obvs, but it was a very weak showing from the students for a top 10 football team in the country. Where was everyone? We would still tailgate even if we didn't go to the games. It was a perfect day out there. Vibe was a little weird.

Hopefully they all show out for Carolina and we whip those bastards.

I agree about the SEC stuff obvs, but it was a very weak showing from the students for a top 10 football team in the country. Where was everyone? We would still tailgate even if we didn't go to the games. It was a perfect day out there. Vibe was a little weird.

Hopefully they all show out for Carolina and we whip those bastards.
I think the students just weren't there altogether. They section was pretty sparse relative to the other games this season. It was slammed for homecoming and parents weekend.

Was fraternity/sorority mountain weekend last weekend? I'm guessing so. I've always thought the student tailgating was excellent at Wake, both as a student and walking by the lot in recent years. The tailgating has typically been far, far better than the attendance.

Back in the day, the goal was to get wasted.

To the credit of current students, I am not convinced that is still the case.

Back