• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Study Abroad Cell Phone Help

South Deac

Reaction score
I am going to be a junior at WFU and am studying in London this fall. Does anyone have any suggestions about cell phones abroad? I have an iPhone 3GS--is it worth unlocking it and buying a sim card over there? I don't even know what that process looks like. The alternative is to buy a $30 phone over there with a lot less capabilities.

Any advice or suggestions? Thanks for the help!

I am going to be a junior at WFU and am studying in London this fall. Does anyone have any suggestions about cell phones abroad? I have an iPhone 3GS--is it worth unlocking it and buying a sim card over there? I don't even know what that process looks like. The alternative is to buy a $30 phone over there with a lot less capabilities.

Any advice or suggestions? Thanks for the help!

Well it certainly depends on what sort of capabilities you are looking for, but you can get a cheap, one dimensional-type T-Mobile phone for 10 pounds and do "pay as you go". That way, you probably only end up spending about 10quid a month on top-ups. Usually, if you top up ten pounds a month, you get unlimited texts for the next. Definitely worth checking out.

I went for a pre-paid nokia in Japan and was fine with the simple calling and texting. Granted, this was before the smartphone explosion in the USA, so I didn't really know what I was missing out on. I made it out alive though, so it couldn't have been that bad.

Well it certainly depends on what sort of capabilities you are looking for, but you can get a cheap, one dimensional-type T-Mobile phone for 10 pounds and do "pay as you go". That way, you probably only end up spending about 10quid a month on top-ups. Usually, if you top up ten pounds a month, you get unlimited texts for the next. Definitely worth checking out.

this is what i did in london too. my friend had an iphone though (way back when in 2008) and it was priceless for yelping places to go and mapping directions. see if you can upgrade to an international plan with your regular carrier-- i know this is an option through at&t for not that much more $$/month.

Back