• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Summer trip

My buddy is getting married in Banff in July and it’s already pretty booked up.

Before I left for Wake, me, my dad, one of my buddies and his dad did a weekend hike along the AT. Top 10 memory of mine.
What part did you do over that weekend?

Pretty much anywhere in the Canadian Rockies. Jasper is awesome, Waterton is awesome. Moraine Lake may be the prettiest place I've ever been.
it's been over ten years now, but I preferred the vibe of Jasper to Banff, at least as far as the town scene -- Banff was mostly high-end stuff and very expensive, Jasper a little more down-to-earth

mid-summer will definitely be very crowded

but the area is truly beautiful

had a good time whitewater rafting in Canmore, too

What part did you do over that weekend?

We were in SW Virginia. It was something like 23 miles with a massive elevation change over two days. We slept in a Lean To and I think I fell asleep around 7PM and slept until 9 AM the following morning.

Agree on Jasper v Banff. And the drive between the two is truly epic. Combining Going to the Sun road in glacier (once it's open) and the Icefield Parkway into a single trip is knocking out two of the best drives in the world in one trip. If you can e-bike Going to the Sun, do it.

The hiking in all of these places is unbelievable. A few tops on my list of to-do's in that area:
Athabasca Glacier. Hike on this with a guide and learn a ton.
Valley of 5 Lakes hike in Jasper
Pyramid Mountain bike+hike in Jasper (bike to the end of the gravel fire road, then hike up to save a ton of time)
Tea Houses hike Lake Louise

Back