• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Supreme Court Declares PASPA Unconstitional (Sports Betting Is On The Way)

To be fair, you probably already hear that if you’re sitting anywhere near me.

I mean, that’s the genesis of DeacsATS.

grobe used to cover the spread like a boss!

Imagine playing #17 at Sawgrass and some guy has a $100 that you will hit it in the water. Just as you commence your swing he screams out as loud as he can?

When betting on golf shots becomes rampant, crowd control will become a huge, perhaps unmanageable problem. PGA players will have to contend with lots of noise. It will not be the same game.

can't even imagine what it's gonna do for free throws

Fantasy football and the fantasy gambling sites are growing dramatically while NFL viewership is going down. Why would more gambling make it go up?

I’d anticipate NC will be very late to this table. Too bad too because the teachers could all really use raises.

I'd imagine the entire South and Midwest will be late to the game, but this will be an interesting political intersection of corporate interests and purported moral objections.

Yeah. Especially in terms of college betting. Games in the South will be th most popular games to bet on.

Well as soon as Virginia or Georgia gets it, North Carolina will do it as a defensive move. I think the General Assembly realizes how stupid they were to hold out against the lottery while convenience stores on the VA and SC border were selling millions of tickets when the Powerball jackpot got big. And this state has been on the leading edge of the brewery revolution.

Florida will probably be the first in the southeast. Georgia would probably follow within two years of that.

Yeah. Especially in terms of college betting. Games in the South will be th most popular games to bet on.

Yeah college football will likely make a big difference - great point.

Atlanta could be a hot spot for that in the southeast.

It’s been very difficult to get any kind of gambling legislation through in Georgia.

Horse racing failed miserably a couple of years ago after appearing like a done deal for a while.

I can’t see legalized wagering on college football here for a while. Wouldn’t want to upset the SEC or NCAA when Atlanta hosts some (most) of the big games.

Fixed games aren't bet in legal gambling establishments.

It’s been very difficult to get any kind of gambling legislation through in Georgia.

Horse racing failed miserably a couple of years ago after appearing like a done deal for a while.

I can’t see legalized wagering on college football here for a while. Wouldn’t want to upset the SEC or NCAA when Atlanta hosts some (most) of the big games.

When hundreds of millions of dollars are being foregone annually Georgia will get on board quickly enough. The SEC's not going back to Legion Field.

When hundreds of millions of dollars are being foregone annually Georgia will get on board quickly enough. The SEC's not going back to Legion Field.

Tax revenue hasn’t led many states to legalize weed, zero in the south.

Florida will probably be the first in the southeast. Georgia would probably follow within two years of that.

The states that already have a leg up and expect to be ready to take bets on the NFL this season are: New jersey(more than a leg up); West Virginia; Delaware; and Mississippi.

Is that speculation or info?

McCrory said he thinks NC will be relatively quick to legalize it, but that SC will initially beat them to it. Within the next few years for both states.

But as it relates to local gambling, will states subscribe to Vegas lines exactly, or will the lines be adjusted locally? Like if there is a betting window in the parking lot in Tuscaloosa, surely 99% of the drunk tailgating money is coming in on Bama. If Bama covers, then the window goes broke. They would have to jack the line up to cover the lopsided money. Or they prohibit gambling on local teams, but that kind of defeats the purpose.

And as far as the leagues getting a cut, why wouldn't the leagues just run the service? Like if there is betting in NFL stadiums, why wouldn't the NFL simply run that themselves? They could probably try to prohibit other legal services from taking bets on NFL games via licensing laws.

Back