• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Supreme Court Restricts Drug Dogs Around Homes

RaleighDevil

Reaction score
http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...621-11e2-8764-d42c128a01ef_story.html?hpid=z4

WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court ruled Tuesday that police cannot bring drug-sniffing police dogs onto a suspect’s property to look for evidence without first getting a warrant for a search, a decision which may limit how investigators use dogs’ sensitive noses to search out drugs, explosives and other items hidden from human sight, sound and smell.

The high court split 5-4 on the decision to uphold the Florida Supreme Court’s ruling throwing out evidence seized in the search of Joelis Jardines’ Miami-area house. That search was based on an alert by Franky the drug dog from outside the closed front door.

Justice Antonin Scalia said a person has the Fourth Amendment right to be free from the government’s gaze inside their home and in the area surrounding it, which is called the curtilage.

“The police cannot, without a warrant based on probable cause, hang around on the lawn or in the side garden, trawling for evidence and perhaps peering into the windows of the home,” Justice Antonin Scalia said for the majority. “And the officers here had all four of their feet and all four of their companion’s, planted firmly on that curtilage — the front porch is the classic example of an area intimately associated with the life of the home.”

He was joined in his opinion by Justices Clarence Thomas, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Sonia Sotomayor and Elena Kagan. ...

It’s not trespassing when a mail carrier comes on a porch for a brief period, Alito said. And that includes “police officers who wish to gather evidence against an occupant,” Alito said. “According to the court, however, the police officer in this case, Detective Bartelt, committed a trespass because he was accompanied during his otherwise lawful visit to the front door of the respondent’s house by his dog, Franky. Where is the authority evidencing such a rule?” ...

It was not the dog that was the problem, Scalia said, “but the behavior that here involved use of the dog.”

“We think a typical person would find it ‘a cause for great alarm’ to find a stranger snooping about his front porch with or without a dog,” Scalia said. “The dissent would let the police do whatever they want by way of gathering evidence so long as they stay on the base path, to use a baseball analogy — so long as they ‘stick to the path that is typically used to approach a front door, such as a paved walkway.’ From that vantage point they can presumably peer into the house with binoculars with impunity. That is not the law, as even the state concedes.”

One of the few times I agree with Antonin Scalia and Clarence Thomas.

Makes perfect sense. A drug dog is a cop.

Franky sounds like a cool dog.

But I'm glad he can't come sniff out the nugs I have in my house. Those babies are so stinky I can smell them when I pull in the neighborhood. :thumbsup:

One of the few times I agree with Antonin Scalia and Clarence Thomas.

I thought it was interesting that the three liberal justices wrote a separate opinion. Although I understand the legitimate reason for doing so.

I'm really trying to figure out how the other side has a legitimate argument that would garner 4 votes. It was a poorly written dissent, in my opinion.

Makes perfect sense. A drug dog is a cop.

It's more than just being a cop. It's a cop with a very specific purpose and ability. Because of that, as soon as they are on the property they are violating the occupant's 4th amendment rights. Very good decision by the Court.

Good decision. Interesting bedfellows for the majority and dissent.

God my professor tomorrow in Crim is gonna go apeshit on this 4th Amendment stuff...she's already been talking this up with the Harris case (decided a month or so ago) and how it will continue to shape 4th Amendment jurisprudence.

I agree with Scalia in this case though too.

Did you all know numbers was in law school? I had no idea.

I thought I'd instantly agree with this decision but after reading some of the dissent, I do find some legitimate questions. One justice made the point that a postal worker can stroll up to your porch while engaged in official duties. And marijuana isn't the most fragrant-free item to be growing in your house. I had a buddy in Davis who was growing plants in his dorm room. He had no idea we could smell them down in the center courtyard. I believe, however, when acting on a tip, as was the immediate case, an investigator should err on the side of caution and secure a warrant or use less intrusive means of gathering probable cause. He's there investigating, not delivering the mail or checking the meter.

But I wondered: what if a meter checker or postman or UPS guy goes up to the door and smells weed then tells the police. Would that suffice as PC? Hell, you wouldn't even need a dog at that point.

As Grossman points out, the official duties of a K-9 officer are to sniff for drugs. The official duties of a USPS guy is to deliver mail.

As 94Deac points out, the postman can smell pot then call the police. Is that then PC for the cops to approach with a dog? And the guy had 174 plants. You really wouldn't need a dog at that point.

If they have a warrant, they can go in with a dog. If they don't, they can't.

You just respond to my posts without really reading them, eh?

I read it. You asked if they'd have probable cause. I responded that they can go in with a dog if they get a warrant.

As 94Deac points out, the postman can smell pot then call the police. Is that then PC for the cops to approach with a dog? And the guy had 174 plants. You really wouldn't need a dog at that point.

First, a postman smelling what he believes to be marijuana and calling the police would certainly not be enough PC for a warrant. Secondly, I don't believe the courts would uphold that same scenario even if a trained police officer smelled it. This is assuming, of course, that they are able to smell the marijuana from the street without snooping around on the property. I think it would be very difficult for the police to articulate that the smell is definitely coming from that particular house and have probable cause to believe there is actually marijuana in it. If I'm a judge and a cop comes to me with a warrant and their only PC is they smelled it coming from the house, I will tell them to go back and get me something more. Do a trash pull or inspect the meters that are typically rigged with grow houses. But, I think they need more than just smell.

Also, believe it or not, but 174 plants is actually pretty small for a grow house.

Last edited:
First, a postman smelling what he believes to be marijuana and calling the police would certainly not be enough PC for a warrant. Secondly, I don't believe the courts would uphold that same scenario even if a trained police officer smelled it. This is assuming, of course, that they are able to smell the marijuana from the street without snooping around on the property. I think it would be very difficult for the police to articulate that the smell is definitely coming from that particular house and have probable cause to believe there is actually marijuana in it. If I'm a judge and a cop comes to me with a warrant and their only PC is they smelled it coming from the house, I will tell them to go back and get me something more. Do a trash pull or inspect the meters that are typically rigged with grow houses. But, I think they need more than just smell.

Also, believe it or not, but 174 plants is actually pretty small for a grow house.

I agree- I was just interested in some of the comments in the dissent as being compelling if not persuasive. The smell test works for PC on a car but not a house. I really disagree, though, about 174 plants being small, depending on the size of the house. And 25 plants can produce a strong smell. Seven times that would really have to be something. Shit, I've seen what a dime bag in the trunk can do to a car.

Back