• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Supreme Court to rule on baker refusing to make cake for gay couple

Then I guess a Muslim owned grocery store doesn't have to let Evangelical Christians shop there due to his faith. After all, other Christians would be welcome.

DeacMan and others are for reinstituting legalized discrimination. Nice.

Why are you so bad at logic.

Your example would clearly violate the civil rights act and would not be allowed to stand.

A better example for you to consider is some EC's who demand that the Muslim owned grocery stock and sell them bacon. No court is going to force the Muslim grocery to sell pork. And that's going to be the argument of the baker. Namely, he'll argue: "Gay people are free to shop in my store and buy any goods that I sell generally or am willing to produce. I will not, however, produce a custom cake celebrating the marriage of a same sex couple. So if they want to come and buy a cake or a bunch of cookies off the shelf, that's fine. But don't ask me to make a custom cake."

Last edited:

Your example would clearly violate the civil rights act and would not be allowed to stand.

A better example for you to consider is some EC's who demand that the Muslim owned grocery stock and sell them bacon. That's going to be the argument of the baker. Namely, gay people are free to shop in my store and buy any goods that I sell generally or am willing to produce. I will not, however, produce a custom cake celebrating the marriage of a same sex couple.

It every bit as accurate as yours and that was the point. You tried to equate a peaceful event with one whose purpose was incite violence.

The fact you won't admit is sadly not surprising.

Last edited:
Making the cake "promotes gay marriage?"

I don't get that either. I get how a gay wedding reception promotes the baker. The baker could just decline to put up anything promoting their bakery at the wedding.

I do see where this is going if SCOTUS rules in favor of the baker. Bakeries willing to make cakes for gay couples will put up signs that say gay couples matter and straight people will get all offended.

A better example for you to consider is some EC's who demand that the Muslim owned grocery stock and sell them bacon. No court is going to force the Muslim grocery to sell pork. And that's going to be the argument of the baker. Namely, he'll argue: "Gay people are free to shop in my store and buy any goods that I sell generally or am willing to produce. I will not, however, produce a custom cake celebrating the marriage of a same sex couple. So if they want to come and buy a cake or a bunch of cookies off the shelf, that's fine. But don't ask me to make a custom cake."

There's a big difference between going to a Halal shop and asking for a pork chop and going to a bakery and asking for a cake.

I, for one, am looking forward to the coming Christian theocracy the OWGs so desperately crave

It every bit as accurate as yours and that was the point. You tried to equate a peaceful event with one whose was incite violence.

Quit being so fucking dense, RJ.

It's already well established that you can't force people to sell goods that violate their religious beliefs. And that is going to be the argument of the baker in this case. "I have a firm religious objection to gay marriage and you can't make me bake a cake specifically to celebrate one."

Somehow you conflated that into generally refusing to serve gay people. Doesn't make sense.

Seems to me to be yet another example of people using religion as a tool of hate instead of love. I wonder if the people who do strategic planning for big religion worry about their demographics 10-15 years from now.

There's a big difference between going to a Halal shop and asking for a pork chop and going to a bakery and asking for a cake.

Who said you can't buy a cake at the bakery? You can.

You just can't make the baker custom bake one to celebrate a gay wedding. Just like you could likely buy bacon at the Muslim grocery. It will just be turkey bacon.

I don't get that either. I get how a gay wedding reception promotes the baker. The baker could just decline to put up anything promoting their bakery at the wedding.

I do see where this is going if SCOTUS rules in favor of the baker. Bakeries willing to make cakes for gay couples will put up signs that say gay couples matter and straight people will get all offended.

This isn't exactly what DeacMan is saying but I don't believe that a paid professional (baker, photography, florist, wedding planner, musician, etc.) promotes any particular ideal or belief through their participation in an event. A business often has the opportunity to turn down business. Clearly, linking the religious belief to the cause of the declination is the issue.

If the Satanists want to hire my sister to take pictures at their annual meeting, she can say "I'm sorry I'm booked on that day." No statement of belief/additional information is needed.

Doesn't this happen all the time already? The left or right boycotts a business for its stance on X or Y issue all the time.

Who said you can't buy a cake at the bakery? You can.

You just can't make the baker custom bake one to celebrate a gay wedding. Just like you could likely buy bacon at the Muslim grocery. It will just be turkey bacon.

Eating, serving, and handling pork is against a Muslim's beliefs.
Eating, serving, and handing cake is not against a Christian's beliefs.

A Muslim is exercising his beliefs by not eating, serving, and handling pork. It has nothing to do with the customer.

A Christian refusing to make a cake is all about the customer.

Doesn't this happen all the time already? The left or right boycotts a business for its stance on X or Y issue all the time.

I'm not talking about boycotts. I'm talking about straight Christians thinking they're being discriminated against.

It every bit as accurate as yours and that was the point. You tried to equate a peaceful event with one whose was incite violence.

Peaceful? Apparently you haven't spent much time with drunk gays.

Eating, serving, and handling pork is against a Muslim's beliefs.
Eating, serving, and handing cake is not against a Christian's beliefs.

A Muslim is exercising his beliefs by not eating, serving, and handling pork. It has nothing to do with the customer.

A Christian refusing to make a cake is all about the customer.

Wow. Just wow.

Gay marriage is against the baker's religious beliefs. You are demanding that he provide a custom made product for gay marriages.

Interracial marriage was against the clergy member's (who also owned a wedding chapel) religious beliefs. The prosecutor tried to make him provide his personal services for interracial marriages.

No doubt you'll get a range of opinions in the Muslim world about what is and is not allowed relative to pork. But if the grocery owner believes it is against his religion to sell pork, then no Christian should be allowed to force him to sell pork.

In each one of these cases someone is trying to make another person sell a product that goes against their religious beliefs:

- A custom cake for a gay wedding
- Clergy services for an inter-racial wedding
- Pork bacon

That does not mean the baker won't serve gay people generally, it does not mean the chapel owner will not allow others to perform the ceremony in his chapel and it does not mean the Muslim grocery won't serve EC's generally.

Last edited:
I'm not talking about boycotts. I'm talking about straight Christians thinking they're being discriminated against.

giphy.gif

Do we really think God cares what we do or don't eat, or who we do or don't bake cakes for?

Either He doesn't care and all this stupid shit was made up by people for their own purposes, or He does care in which case we're all screwed anyway.

The three great signs of dumbassery: littering, smoking tobacco, and selectively taking literally parts of the multi-translated copy of whatever version of the bible your parents gave you when you were 13.

Wow. Just wow.

Gay marriage is against the baker's religious beliefs. You are demanding that he provide a custom made product for gay marriages.

Interracial marriage was against the clergy member's religious beliefs. The prosecutor tried to make him provide his personal services for interracial marriages.

No doubt you'll get a range of opinions in the Muslim world about what is and is not allowed relative to pork. But if the grocery owner believes it is against his religion to sell pork, then no Christian should be allowed to force him to sell pork.

In each one of these cases someone is trying to make another person sell a product that goes against their religious beliefs:

- A custom cake for a gay wedding
- Clergy services for an inter-racial wedding
- Pork bacon

That does not mean the baker won't serve gay people generally, it does not mean the chapel owner will not allow others to perform the ceremony in his chapel and it does not mean the Muslim grocery won't serve EC's generally.

And this guy has degrees from WF & Duke and a job teaching at a university.

Back