• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Surprising Sports Stats.

vtwhat etc

Historically Competitive
Reaction score
For example, Matt Stafford is 1-23 against teams with a winning record.

Bz stats are allowed but not encouraged.

The actual "playing time" in an MLB game is an average of nine minutes and 55 seconds, despite routinely finishing at around three hours.

Take away all of Hank Aaron's 755 home runs and he still had more than 3000 career hits. Also, he and his brother Tommie hold the MLB record for most homers by brothers at 768.

Last edited:
The actual "playing time" in an MLB game is an average of nine minutes and 55 seconds, despite routinely finishing at around three hours.

Similar to football, which I think is 11 minutes of actual "playing time".

This thread requires "surprising" stats. Bz's horrible stats surprise no one, so they do not apply.

John Paciorek has a lifetime 1.000 BA, 1.000 OBP - he was 3-3 with 2 BBs, 4 runs scored and three RBI in the only game he ever played in the majors.

I realize this is something smallsamplesizeDeac would say, but what the hell happened to him?

From Stark's trivia the other day: the only active players with a .320+ BA and 100+ homeruns (Mauer is 1 HR away) are Pujols, Miggy, and... Ichiro.

I had no idea Ichiro has over 100 HR.

He got hurt and never made it back to the majors. His brother Tom had a nice career in the 70s and 80s.

Here is a recent one - Chris Anderson has the highest FG% during a postseason run in the history of the league, shooting 85%.

He also has the opportunity to have the most post season games without missing a shot. He needs 2 out of this last series.

From Stark's trivia the other day: the only active players with a .320+ BA and 100+ homeruns (Mauer is 1 HR away) are Pujols, Miggy, and... Ichiro.

I had no idea Ichiro has over 100 HR.

I still don't believe Golic actually knew any of those answers.

Somebody asked me that at work yesterday and I couldn't believe Helton wasn't one of them.

Virginia Tech has never won a national championship in any NCAA sport. The state of Mississippi is 0 for NCs too as neither Ole Miss, nor Miss State has ever won a NC in any sport. Vandy has one NC - women's bowling in 2007. WF has 8 NCs in 4 different sports (baseball, men's golf, men's soccer and field hockey). Also, WF is the only ACC school with a baseball NC as a member of the ACC (Miami won when they were a baseball independent). FSU baseball has appeared in 21 college world series and has never won.

Last edited:
Virginia Tech has never won a national championship in any NCAA sport. The state of Mississippi is 0 for NCs too as neither Ole Miss, nor Miss State has ever won a NC in any sport. Vandy has one NC - women's bowling in 2007. WF has 8 NCs in 4 different sports (baseball, men's golf, men's soccer and field hockey). Also, WF is the only ACC school with a baseball NC as a member of the ACC (Miami won when they were a baseball independent). FSU baseball has appeared in 21 college world series and has never won.

SUCK IT CAROLINA

Maryland has something like 81 straight lacrosse seasons with a winning record.

88!

Patrick Stevens ‏@D1scourse
Longest active streaks of .500+ seasons in D-1 college lacrosse: Maryland (88), Cornell (15), Notre Dame (11), Duke (9), Loyola (8).

And yet we have all of two NCAA national championships, 1973 and 1975, despite making the Final Four 21 times since 1971. Had a bunch of pre-NCAA championships. Probably one of the most underachieving programs in collegiate sports.

Last edited:
Back