• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Surround sound for dummies

Jeff Fatt

Reaction score
I know next to nothing about setting up surround sound and the sound from my tv is currently only through the tv speakers. I'd like to also be able to listen to music independent of the tv (ipod/iphone, external hd, cds). I have about $450 in Best Buy gift cards and was thinking I may be able to use that toward improved sound. So my questions:

1. is that even remotely in the price range (not looking for something high end)
2. what are the basics to look for or steer away from? Brands?
3. is Best Buy a decent place to get something like this or is it better going elsewhere?

I do not. I assume I need to get one though in addition to speakers. I could be wrong but I assume if I just go through the tv the sound will still suck.

You probably just need an "all in one" setup for that price point and your level of knowledge. It's usually a DVD/Blueray player, Surround Processor, Subwoofer, a Center Channel and 4-6 satellite speakers (5.1, 6.1 or 7.1) all boxed up together. Just plug in your TV, cable/satellite box and go. Since you have the gift cards, Best Buy is probably a decent place to get it. No advice on brands as I've never used any of the all-in-one systems.

Thanks, just to clarify, that is what I have in gift cards but not necessarily the budget. I don't mind going above that if it makes a difference but I also don't want to break the bank with this setup (probably wouldnt go over $1000).

Thanks, just to clarify, that is what I have in gift cards but not necessarily the budget. I don't mind going above that if it makes a difference but I also don't want to break the bank with this setup (probably wouldnt go over $1000).

It really depends on what you want to spend, how many devices you want to add into the system, how many inputs your TV has, your desire to upgrade in the future, etc. If I were in your shoes, I'd go with the first option below:

If you don't need a Blu-Ray player or are willing to buy one separately, this is your best option of those on Best Buy's page:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Onkyo+-...ofer/4964484.p?id=1218587139812&skuId=4964484

It has a "real" receiver with plenty of inputs (appears to do HDMI switching, meaning you hook other devices like cable box, Blu-Ray, XBox, etc to the receiver and only run one HDMI cable to your TV), a USB port for connecting an Apple device, and enough power and real speaker hookups that you could upgrade speakers in the future if you wanted to.

If you want Blu-Ray built into the kit/budget, grab this:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pioneer...stem/7052859.p?id=1218827062027&skuId=7052859

It also has an Apple connection, but is more of a set it and forget it type setup that you can't really add lots more inputs to or upgrade speakers, etc in the future. It only has a single Audio input, so to add a bunch of devices (cable, game system, etc), you'd need to take advantage of the various HDMI inputs on your TV and just pipe the audio into the sound system from the TV.

Racer,
Any opinion on the sound bars (bose makes one that is highly reviewed and $$ )? It is just one speaker and a sub that would go beneath a hung flat screen.

I'll say that I would recommend you buy a receiver and speakers, instead of a system in a box. If you do buy a receiver, don't be scared of Sony's lower price point, Sony makes very good receivers

Watching us play basketball in surround sound won't make the losses easier to take. Just FYI.

It really depends on what you want to spend, how many devices you want to add into the system, how many inputs your TV has, your desire to upgrade in the future, etc. If I were in your shoes, I'd go with the first option below:

If you don't need a Blu-Ray player or are willing to buy one separately, this is your best option of those on Best Buy's page:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Onkyo+-...ofer/4964484.p?id=1218587139812&skuId=4964484

It has a "real" receiver with plenty of inputs (appears to do HDMI switching, meaning you hook other devices like cable box, Blu-Ray, XBox, etc to the receiver and only run one HDMI cable to your TV), a USB port for connecting an Apple device, and enough power and real speaker hookups that you could upgrade speakers in the future if you wanted to.

If you want Blu-Ray built into the kit/budget, grab this:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pioneer...stem/7052859.p?id=1218827062027&skuId=7052859

It also has an Apple connection, but is more of a set it and forget it type setup that you can't really add lots more inputs to or upgrade speakers, etc in the future. It only has a single Audio input, so to add a bunch of devices (cable, game system, etc), you'd need to take advantage of the various HDMI inputs on your TV and just pipe the audio into the sound system from the TV.

And if you can get Best Buy to match Amazon's price, you can get it for $300 cheaper.

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S5500-7-1-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B0077V88ZE

I'll say that I would recommend you buy a receiver and speakers, instead of a system in a box. If you do buy a receiver, don't be scared of Sony's lower price point, Sony makes very good receivers

Normally I would agree, but the system in a box just makes sense for someone who doesn't want to research, but cables, etc. Plus, the Okyno system in a box I posted above is a legit receiver it appears. Certainly seems to be on par with the cheaper Sony receivers (which is actually what I have)

Racer,
Any opinion on the sound bars (bose makes one that is highly reviewed and $$ )? It is just one speaker and a sub that would go beneath a hung flat screen.

Great for a bedroom or a room where you just don't want to run speakers for whatever reason, but from a sound standpoint, I'd rather have independent channels, even from a cheapo system, than a $2500 Bose soundbar. There are much better prices soundbars out there than the Bose.

Great for a bedroom or a room where you just don't want to run speakers for whatever reason, but from a sound standpoint, I'd rather have independent channels, even from a cheapo system, than a $2500 Bose soundbar. There are much better prices soundbars out there than the Bose.

Thanks. I have a 55 inch above the fireplace in my new den. The room is all old school, real wood panel. It is legit, but next to impossible to run wires. So, I was thinking soundbar so that at least the TV would get loud, quality sound.

Thanks. I have a 55 inch above the fireplace in my new den. The room is all old school, real wood panel. It is legit, but next to impossible to run wires. So, I was thinking soundbar so that at least the TV would get loud, quality sound.

my wife's grandparents have an 80 inch flatscreen in their beach house, and because her grandma didn't want speakers all over the place (her words :rulz:) they bought the 1500$ Bose Cinemate soundbar. It's a damn good soundbar, but it still doesn't sound half as good as a surround sound system.

Understood. Wires are a pain. Not looking forward to running speaker wire through my crawl space when we move into the new place next week. 90 year old Bungalow, but at least the walls have been replaced with sheet rock and they wired they place up with Cat6 during the remodel a few years ago. I may even go through the extra work of installing in-wall speakers from Monoprice to make the room look nicer.

Ever since I discovered cord covers, I don't understand the problem people have with running wire, unless you've got speakers in the middle of a room.

Ever since I discovered cord covers, I don't understand the problem people have with running wire, unless you've got speakers in the middle of a room.

Still doesn't look good to have a cord cover going up and around door frames, etc. You can do a lot more when you're a 20 something bachelor.

SONOS PLAYBAR is where its at.

http://www.gizmag.com/sonos-soundbar-playbar/26207/

sonos_playbar-2.jpg

Back