• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Surround Sound System or Sound Bar?

DemonDEKEn

Reaction score
Looking for one or the other, but I see some people switching from surround sound systems to sound bars and other people doing just the opposite. Opinions? What say you?

They're expensive, but Sonos sound bars are wonderful. Plus you can add rear speakers later if you want. Works great for TV and for music.

Think part of it is the size, shape of the room. In a perfect world its surround sound. Under less optimal conditions and ease of set up a sound bar an be the way to go.

I woke up this morning to create this topic. Wild. Just moved to a new house, and I am trying to decide which way I want to setup the basement. Appreciate the recommendations.

Think part of it is the size, shape of the room. In a perfect world its surround sound. Under less optimal conditions and ease of set up a sound bar an be the way to go.

Yeah, no sound bar will beat a real surround sound setup. But they're simpler and some rooms just don't have space/wiring for full surround speakers. The Yamaha YSP line is really the only sound bar with good enough sound imaging to really mimic rear speakers, but they're expensive. Next step down would be a budget soundbar like their YAS.

If you can fit a decent 5.1 speaker set in the room I'd do that. A while back I almost went with these: http://www.orbaudio.com/ but not sure how they stack up against the competition these days.

Sound bar for better sound than your TV speakers.

5.1 if you really want "surround sound".

I had a pretty serious surround set-up before our move... I sold it off and bought one of these to hold us over for a while.

The surround sound speakers are 'wireless' in the sense that they plug into the powered subwoofer in the back of the room.

VIF-102347079_chiclet01_al.jpg

It's been absolutely awesome and I doubt I'll go back to my old AVR+Massive Floors (Polk) anytime soon.

I had a pretty serious surround set-up before our move... I sold it off and bought one of these to hold us over for a while.

The surround sound speakers are 'wireless' in the sense that they plug into the powered subwoofer in the back of the room.

VIF-102347079_chiclet01_al.jpg

It's been absolutely awesome and I doubt I'll go back to my old AVR+Massive Floors (Polk) anytime soon.

Is that the vizio system?

Is that the vizio system?

Yeah. It shows up on Woot every once in a while. I think I got it factory refurb'ed for $150. It's awesome. Really enjoy the input capabilities (optical, Bluetooth, etc) and how easy it is to switch between them

Vizio makes some pretty solid sound bars, I believe.

I had a wired surround sound system when I built my house, but switched to a sound bar last year. We did it because it was less bulky and looked simpler for every day watching. Unless I were to build a home theatre with projector, I doubt I'll ever own another surround sound system.

I had a wired surround sound system when I built my house, but switched to a sound bar last year. We did it because it was less bulky and looked simpler for every day watching. Unless I were to build a home theatre with projector, I doubt I'll ever own another surround sound system.

Which sound bar did you go with?

I have an LG, mostly because our tv is also an LG. Our FD bought a Samsung sound bar for our training room. Truthfully, I cant tell much of a difference between the two.

My living room is impossible for a real surround system. Got a vizio bar plus sub and its great. Besides with little kids sleeping right upstairs, my days off cranking the explosions to max and enjoying the rumble are over anyway. Vizio bars get great reviews and I have loved mine.

My living room is impossible for a real surround system. Got a vizio bar plus sub and its great. Besides with little kids sleeping right upstairs, my days off cranking the explosions to max and enjoying the rumble are over anyway. Vizio bars get great reviews and I have loved mine.

I have this setup as well. Vizio bar with wireless sub and satellites. Works great for what it is.

Back