• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Survey of Unregistered & Unlikely Voters

I think he's dying and trying to get out some sage advice mainly (but not only) to his own party.

Unfortunately, probably not many are going to listen.

The notion that congress should be judged on "getting things done" is stupid, considering that many of those "things getting done" don't help me, and potentially make my life harder.

i think the notion that Congress actions should be judged on whether they 'help' a particular person is kinda dumb, especially on the Federal level

i think the notion that Congress actions should be judged on whether they 'help' a particular person is kinda dumb, especially on the Federal level
That is on-brand for you. I'm curious exactly what you expect out of your government, and how your satisfaction is determined.

I think we can assume "getting things done" implies getting good things done. Things that help make us better and more effectively governed.

Not that everyone will benefit from or agree with everything getting done.

itc and mdmh are neck and neck for the honor of having the most-burned-out-dad-takes on these here boards

I think we can assume "getting things done" implies getting good things done. Things that help make us better and more effectively governed.

Not that everyone will benefit from or agree with everything getting done.
That post is nonsense. "Good" is clearly subjective. Republicans think repealing Obamacare is "good" and they worked hard to get it done. They thought the tax cut was "good" and they got that done. Nearly the entire legislature thought that the FOSTA-SESTA bill was "good" and they got that done. Do sex workers think that law is good? That it will make them safer? Hell no.

The assumption that "getting things done" means getting "good things done" is completely illogical if it's seperated from idealogical adherence. Governance alone is neither a good or a bad thing. Hitler governed. Give your toddler a wet paint brush and let them "get things done" around the house. See how that goes.

Then again, I can't tell what the Dems are up to other than Medicare for all and Russia. I may disagree with everything the Pubs stand for, but at least I know what it is.

This is horseshit. You’re trolling, but this is a common refrain that is total horseshit.

We’re referencing the McCain quote from the last page.

He’s largely correct in his analysis.

But there seems to be little workable or effective prescription for emerging from the mess his party is largely responsible for creating.

We’re referencing the McCain quote from the last page.

He’s largely correct in his analysis.

But there seems to be little workable or effective prescription for emerging from the mess his party is largely responsible for creating.
So? There have been many legislative acts that John McCain "got done" that hurt poor people and minorities. This is not a complicated concept. I don't want John McCain to get things done. I don't want Donald Trump to get things done. I don't want anyone who is actively trying to harm me, or advance economic inequality, to get things done. I want them to fail, spectacularly. You all can't bullshit around and seperate legislators from their damn idealogy and motivations. They aren't janitors, or security guards. The goals of their job are highly partisan.

When Joe Manchin votes with Republicans/Trump like 35% of the damned time, do you think those bills pass? He sure is "getting things done". I'm sure Joe Manchin's success rate for his yes votes is much higher than Bernie Sanders or Elizabeth Warren.

45f8cd4b31139bd5fc74e67c6aad98d2.jpg

I don’t think anyone needs to fret about McCain getting much more done.

Good grief. He’s an imperfect patriot who’s strived to serve his country for many decades.

Now he’s dying and seems to be offering constructive criticism—that I think is most aptly and likely directed at his own party.

I’m hardly a defender of anything Republican for some time now. But I think McCain is spot on with some of his analysis. And I suspect his main target are the more decent folks that remain in his party.

Unfortunately, I think his words will have little effect on a party that has degenerated into the incompetent and insalutary mess as his own.

Back