• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sutton Sports Performance Center Catches Fire At Wake Forest University

you guys might clown on rj, but he went to wake before this pic was taken and was socially aware enough at the time to know that the confederate flag is some racist bullshit

So was everyone in the picture probably. They just didn’t have a problem with the racism. The problem is always calling it out.

KAs when I was at Wake would probably have taken the same picture, it just probably wouldn’t be The Howler. Don’t KAs nationwide still have those Confederate cosplay weekends in the Spring?

According to the WF YDSA, the problem is much broader than just the dean of admissions. As one member said: "... We know there’s more. I have no reason to believe that these people and this institution don’t hold the same sentiments..."

What is to be done about the larger problem? How can Wake Forest discover which faculty and staff are secret racists? What about the problem of the institutional racism of Wake Forest University?
Perhaps we start with those posing for pics with the confederate flag and other various racist actions that aren't hard to find

Let’s not forget that Tom Dixon was a founding member of the Wake Forest Chapter of the Kappa Alpha Order when you try to dismiss this as no big deal.

you guys might clown on rj, but he went to wake before this pic was taken and was socially aware enough at the time to know that the confederate flag is some racist bullshit

Yeah. It’s hard for white people to claim “oh things were different back then” as if there weren’t plenty of people including fellow white people who knew racism was wrong.

Let’s not forget that Tom Dixon was a founding member of the Wake Forest Chapter of the Kappa Alpha Order when you try to dismiss this as no big deal.

Did not know that. Why would someone join KA without having similar beliefs?

You didn’t need the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th words of this post. You can probably change the tense too.

I can only attest to what I knew.

In my time, it wasn't unusual to be called N -lover by KAs if they saw you with a black person and that included people like Charlie, Gilbert. Junior or other students.

The 70%+ white student population doesn't help

Back in 1999-2000 (My freshman year), we were 88.4% white, 7.7% black, 1.7% asian 1% hispanic and 1% international. I imagine a healthy portion of the black students were athletes.

Now you're down to 7% black, but now you have 11% asians, which was quite noticeable when walking around campus the amount of international students. This was probably financially motivated more than anything else, as the pool of people who could pay the full ride on their own needed us to draw internationally. The professors I talked to in the accounting program generally believed the international students weren't as strong as the others, and seemed to indicate it was dragging down the program.

I am surprised to see we went from 1% to 7% latino, however.

KAs in the 70s were unashamed, public racists and proud of it. Kappa Sigs weren't too far behind.

KA's were steeped in Southern traditions. That is just the way it was down south in those times. The Rebel flag was everywhere in the South and it was accepted. Doesn't mean people were as much racists as they were proud of their southern heritage. You had to be from down here and not a Yankee to appreciate it. People growing up with their parents in the 50's & 60's had maids dressed in their blue outfits. We can't just erase our traditions and love of Robert E Lee and expect by tearing down statues that it is going to make it go away.

But going back to today's front page of the Winston-Salem Journal, quite funny that one of THE most liberal people on campus--Martha Allman--is the center of attention now for standing with the KA's and the Confederate flag. Amazing that the Libs keep embarrassing themselves of late, more & more.

I grew up in the south in the 70s. In my family anybody who associated with the confederate flag was considered either redneck white trash or somebody making an appeal to the past which was twinged with racial beliefs. It just wasn't a respectable thing to do. And my father grew up in Rocky Mount NC post depression. My mom was from Rhode Island.

That said, I don't think this picture in an of itself should cause somebody to lose their job and the suggestions that it shows she is a racist seems to be quite a bit much.

Last edited:
I think it’s probably safe to say that KA is at best an organization sympathetic to racists, and association with said organization is troubling at the very least.

KA's were steeped in Southern traditions. That is just the way it was down south in those times. The Rebel flag was everywhere in the South and it was accepted. Doesn't mean people were as much racists as they were proud of their southern heritage. You had to be from down here and not a Yankee to appreciate it. People growing up with their parents in the 50's & 60's had maids dressed in their blue outfits. We can't just erase our traditions and love of Robert E Lee and expect by tearing down statues that it is going to make it go away.

But going back to today's front page of the Winston-Salem Journal, quite funny that one of THE most liberal people on campus--Martha Allman--is the center of attention now for standing with the KA's and the Confederate flag. Amazing that the Libs keep embarrassing themselves of late, more & more.
This is non-sense

I grew up in the south in the 70s. In my family anybody who associated with the confederate flag was considered either redneck write trash or somebody making an appeal to the past which was twinged with racial beliefs. It just wasn't a respectable thing to do. And my father grew up in Rocky Mount NC post depression. My mom was from Rhode Island.

That said, I don't think this picture in an of itself should cause somebody to lose their job and the suggestions that it shows she is a racist seems to be quite a bit much.

This is the correct take. Being around the flag is not the same as being in a klan outfit. Heck, the South, Lee, Stonewall, etc. were romanticized in the civil war even in my yankee 7th and 8th grade history classes.

One of the BIGGEST traditions was RACISM and they embraced it wholeheartedly.

It's dishonest, but not surprising, that you try to downplay their white supremacist actions and beliefs.

Robert Byrd was IN the KKK and was given a pass based on his later actions in the life to the point where our nation's first black president gave a eulogy at his funeral. This just seems like an appeal for a pound of flesh.

P.S. I bet they refer to the Civil War as the "War of Northern Aggression" in the Nelms household. No wonder he like South Carolina so much.

Robert Byrd was IN the KKK and was given a pass based on his later actions in the life to the point where our nation's first black president gave a eulogy at his funeral. This just seems like an appeal for a pound of flesh.

P.S. I bet they refer to the Civil War as the "War of Northern Aggression" in the Nelms household. No wonder he like South Carolina so much.

I don't really see this being discussed- what are the person's actions since that time? If their life's work since then was beneficial to social causes/equality etc etc, how should we think about such pictures? Is redemption a possibility in the public eye? Are some past actions irredeemable? Which ones?

Redemption is definitely possible when someone owns up and seeks redemption and works hard for it.

Got to laugh at TheReff. It’s common conservative sentiment that racism is excusable for conservatives but not for liberals.

Back