• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sweet Briar closing

Honest question - would she be less upset if it had to close its doors?

I can't honestly say. It's possible, they would be equally upset either way, but I tend to think they might actually prefer dissolution. They are so connected to the identity of single sex

I don't understand how going coed boosts enrollment.
Sure you gain male applicants, but don't you lose the enrollment of women looking specifically for a single-sex education? Which I imagine is much of the reason why many women go there? I would think A < B there.

I don't understand how going coed boosts enrollment.
Sure you gain male applicants, but don't you lose the enrollment of women looking specifically for a single-sex education? Which I imagine is much of the reason why many women go there? I would think A < B there.

I believe that one of the reasons they figured they'd struggled with enrollment is that they were finding that fewer and fewer women wanted a single sex education. The assumption would be that opening up the school to men would attract men and attract women who would normally like to go there except for the fact that there are no men.....or at least the assumption is that those two demographics would outweigh the loss of women who were looking for a single sex education.

Anyone have any idea what the tuition was at Sweet Briar? Got to think you will see more and more of this with the cost of private college going through the roof. Amazes me how many rich people are out there to afford small private colleges. Lot of dough for not much show.

Anyone have any idea what the tuition was at Sweet Briar? Got to think you will see more and more of this with the cost of private college going through the roof. Amazes me how many rich people are out there to afford small private colleges. Lot of dough for not much show.

From US News College Rankings: It has a total undergraduate enrollment of 703, its setting is rural, and the campus size is 3,250 acres. It utilizes a semester-based academic calendar. Sweet Briar College's ranking in the 2015 edition of Best Colleges is National Liberal Arts Colleges, 116. Its tuition and fees are $34,935 (2014-15).

NPR spot on Salem college likely attracting some of these chicks...salem is expanding and adding facilities and has double the applicants in just a few years. Prob highly aligned with the Winston resurgence one would think and proximity to Innovation Quarter.

Queens University in Charlotte went coed about 7-8 years ago. Market forces.

Harvard went coed in 1977. Market forces then too.

use-the-force-luke_gp_320659.jpg

Why would one ever choose to go to a single sex college? That is unfathomable. I assume these students were all either forced to go by their parents or they themselves are super duper religious.

Why would one ever choose to go to a single sex college? That is unfathomable. I assume these students were all either forced to go by their parents or they themselves are super duper religious.

Or possibly not interested in the other sex. (Not that there is anything wrong with that.)

I'm going to pass on what I've heard from Sweet Briar grads years ago. They liked that women had all of the leadership positions and felt a greater sense of empowerment.

Please note this is what they said, not me, so any disagreements or counterarguments are with them, not me, and I won't be able to address them.

What happens to Sweet Briar's assets when they liquidate? Who gets the cash?
This is a really good question. I have no idea, but I would guess whatever is leftover after liabilities would get donated to a like-minded institution.

My Wake roomie married a Salem grad. I once asked her why she went to a women's college. She said boys dominated her HS classes, and many of the girls felt left out of classroom discussions because the boys were just much more aggressive or whatever. When she went to Salem, she got a boost in confidence because she felt more able to speak up, use her voice and be a leader. Again, I'm a dude, just relaying what I had heard.

Back