• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SXSW Advice?

ZDeac

Reaction score
Time to throw another one out there to the all-knowing Pit. I happen to be travelling to Austin for work during SXSW. Since I'm sure the festival will create all sorts of fun traffic problems for me, I figure I've at least got to attempt to take advantage of the fact that this it's going on.

Thing is, SXSW appears to be organized completely unlike any other big music festival. I've been to ACL before and there's a lineup that tells you who's playing when and where. And a lot of them are bands I've heard before. SXSW appears to be a totally jumbled mess all over downtown with relatively few bands I've heard.

Obviously it's a cool opportunity to hear some different music from what (I assume) are mostly up-and-coming bands. But how do you figure out who's playing when and where and how to get in to see it? In addition, anyone have any recommendations of bands I should try to hear while I'm there?

I'm guessing I'm just going to be able to get check stuff out a couple of nights, but I'd hate to waste the opportunity to catch some of it. Thanks for the help.

When my wife still lived down there we avoided it because you need wrist bands to get in anywhere and they cost a ton.

Yea, so on the SXSW website it looks like a wristband/pass for the music stuff does in fact cost like $600, but then there are aparently a whole bunch of unofficial parties/concerts as well, some of which you have to RSVP to and some of which you can just show up to. But I don't really know what's good, etc.

There are free concerts at Auditorium Shores.. Thursday is the The Shinns, Friday is Counting Crows, and saturday is TBD.. Last year there was a nice stage set up on South Congress near the Hotel San Jose that had acts all day.

I think if you really really want to see someone and don't have a wristband, then you will need to go to that venue and wait for hours or bribe your way in. I prefer to just bounce around to the free shows and catch musicians that I haven't heard.

There are free concerts at Auditorium Shores.. Thursday is the The Shinns, Friday is Counting Crows, and saturday is TBD.. Last year there was a nice stage set up on South Congress near the Hotel San Jose that had acts all day.

I think if you really really want to see someone and don't have a wristband, then you will need to go to that venue and wait for hours or bribe your way in. I prefer to just bounce around to the free shows and catch musicians that I haven't heard.

This. Although we normally just avoided it all. A lot of the parties etc. that are free/easy to get into are more linked to the tech show too.

Back