• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Syria may miss first deadline in U.S.-Russia chemical arms deal

RacerDeac

#iwasright #rjlies
Reaction score
http://www.latimes.com/world/la-fg-syria-deadline-20130919,0,3368673.story
Syria may miss first deadline in U.S.-Russia chemical arms deal

WASHINGTON — The ambitious U.S.-Russian deal to eliminate Syria's chemical weapons, hailed as a diplomatic breakthrough just days ago, hit its first delay Wednesday with indications that the Syrian government will not submit an inventory of its toxic stockpiles and facilities to international inspectors by this weekend's deadline.

The State Department signaled that it would not insist that Syrian President Bashar Assad produce the list Saturday, the end of a seven-day period spelled out in the framework deal that Washington and Moscow announced last weekend in Geneva.

Marie Harf, a State Department spokeswoman, said Wednesday that "our goal is to see forward momentum" by Saturday, not the full list. "We've never said it was a hard and fast deadline."

At least this deadline wasn't a red line? Perhaps those that predicted this deal was just a way to get Obama to stand-down and give Russia and Assad time to work with were right. I still have serious doubts that Assad hands over all of his chemical weapons.

Last edited:
Good article in CNN about just how hard it is to destroy these weapons safely.

Nicolas Cage could do it. He's probably available.

Lol. You just take the chip out while Sean Connery watches your back rendering everything inert. Duh.

[running around on the track in his underwear, thinking he is on fire] Help me Jesus! Help me Jewish God! Help me Allah! AAAAAHHH! Help me, Tom Cruise! Tom Cruise, use your witchcraft on me to get the fire off me!"

Back