• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ta-Nehisi Coates: The Case for Reparations

Facepalm

the twins inability to detect jokes or sarcasm is probably my favorite board meme

It's really difficult to determine when people are just being obtusely dumb, or trying to be funny these days.

Thanks for the explanation Wrangor.

That's the point of the book though...it is a dark read. It doesn't paint an optimistic picture for black people in America.

It's really difficult to determine when people are just being obtusely dumb, or trying to be funny these days.

That's the point of the book though...it is a dark read. It doesn't paint an optimistic picture for black people in America.

It's really not. Hence why its a board meme.

It's important to be optimistic.

Well the great irony there is Obama is the juxtaposed optimist with Coates' view of being black in America. And I think we saw your takes on that brand of optimism

So would a corollary of your position be that, if descendants of slaves are awarded reparations for slavery, then descendants of non-slaveholder/non-slaves are also owed (lesser) reparations? After all, reparations are commonly conceptualized as recompense for economic harm, not damages for emotional distress, and, by hypothesis, non-slaveholding/non-slaves where economically harmed by slavery. Or, in the alternative, if reparations are awarded to descendants of slaves, that only descendants of slaveholders should pay them?

"There is a line-drawing problem therefore I reject the entire premise!"

"you and your people"

"your people already got your reparations"

"they came in the form of a man named Barack Obama"

"my advice is to go back to Africa"

I mean holy cow.

Trump is having a great influence on America

Back