• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tablet computer Recommendations?

FreeStateDeac

Reaction score
I am in the market for a tablet computer. I don't like the iPad or other touchscreen tablets because I can't type on a touchpad, I need a real built-in keyboard.

Any one have any preferences? I have used a Dell Netbook at work and like it a lot, but my biggest complaint is the battery life is fairly short, especially when you're online. Plus it is pretty heavy.

Any one have any other experiences to share or recommendations based on value for price?

Thanks.

Apple Newton.

Apple-Newton-eMate.jpg

Could you just get an iPad or similar and get one of the cases that includes a Bluetooth keyboard?

A tablet is essentially a touchscreen, so I'm not sure what you're looking for.

Plus you can get a keyboard case for pretty much any tablet on the market.

Go with a convertible. Lenovo's Yoga - either 13" or 11". The new ThinkPad Helix just became available as well - awesome product, check it out.
Note: Yes, I work for Lenovo.

This keyboard is money for the iPad. Thin and light, makes a great case without adding much bulk, and the action on the keys is excellent.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Ultr...-1&keywords=logitech+ipad+keyboard+ultra+thin

The iPad is obviously limited in its capabilities as a computer replacement - if that's what you're looking for I'd go with the pricier full-featured Surface Pro (just don't get that crap rubber keyboard, don't know how anyone uses those).

Yeah, I'd stay away from Netbooks, that's a dying breed these days. Tablets + bluetooth keyboard, or ultra portable laptops are the way to go.

I am in the market for a tablet computer. I don't like the iPad or other touchscreen tablets because I can't type on a touchpad, I need a real built-in keyboard.

Any one have any preferences? I have used a Dell Netbook at work and like it a lot, but my biggest complaint is the battery life is fairly short, especially when you're online. Plus it is pretty heavy.

Any one have any other experiences to share or recommendations based on value for price?

Thanks.

I recently bought a Sony Vaio 15.5" touchscreen ultrabook.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2416028,00.asp

I obviously cannot, as a result, testify to the durability of the computer. So far, it has worked just fine for me. It is not as thin or light as other ultrabooks but thinner than nearly any other touchscreen I looked at (and cheaper than many as well). It has pretty good specs for the price, considering it is a touchscreen ultrabook which are not all that common and it is 15.5" screen to boot. The only real issue I have with it is that because it is thin and light, the screen support is a bit flimsy so that could be an issue down the road. It is somewhat difficult to give you recommendations without a price range because there are some really nice touchscreen laptops out there but they are fairly expensive as well.

If you are looking more for a convertible laptop, I read really good things about the Lenovo Yoga series. I did not want a convertible but that is because I have a tablet if I need a tablet.

Could you just get an iPad or similar and get one of the cases that includes a Bluetooth keyboard?

Thanks. That is what I am going to focus on. Seems to be the best route for what I want, which is a lightweight tablet that comes with a real keyboard (not touchpad) and the MS Office package, so I can work on documents and PowerPoints. I also want a decent internet browsing capability that works in both US and Europe, either through WiFi or 3 or 4G.

Anyone have any advice on whether to get Verizon's or AT&T's 4G or someone else's?

Thanks again for advice.

Back