• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tablet/E-reader thread

iodeac

Reaction score
I'm planning to buy either a tablet or E-reader soon. I'm really leaning towards the Amazon Kindle Fire HD since it's cheap and seems to have some of the best qualities of an E-reader combined with the basic internet functionality I need (Facebook, email), plus I really love the benefits of Amazon Prime such as the lending library and being able to stream from their movie and TV show collection. Does anyone have any input on the Fire HD or the Google Nexus 7 or the Nook by Barnes and Noble? Thanks!

I'll piggyback on this. I need to buy tablets for my research team at work. I'll be using quantitative and qualitative analysis programs.

I can't think of anything I want for the holidays, wondering if a tablet would be wise. I'd only use it for basic internet when upstairs, would use my laptop for music

I'll piggyback on this. I need to buy tablets for my research team at work. I'll be using quantitative and qualitative analysis programs.

If you want a serious tablet check out the new ThinkPad 2 tablet from Lenovo. If you really want a notebook computer that can act like a tablet, check out the ThinkPad Twist convertible, also from Lenovo. Both are Windows 8 machines.
The Yoga is a really awesome convertible too, but more consumer-oriented.

Disclaimer: I work for Lenovo... But I think these are pretty awesome machines.

Switched to Lenovo from Dell for my latest laptop and I'm pleased.

I too am looking at getting a tablet and I think I will end up going with the Nook HD+. My reasoning is that I will using it for 75% for reading ebooks and I like the Nook feature of organizing your books onto shelves (I most recently had a Nook Color).

Pros:
Price: $269 for 16GB, $299 for 32GB
Expandable SD card slot

Cons:
App store is not a full android app store so a lot of stuff is missing (like Comixology because then Barnes and Noble cannot make money selling graphic novels)
No camera, I don't think

With the Nook color, it was pretty easy to root the Nook and make it just a regular android tablet. Plus you could do it in a way where you would load the rooting software to an SD card and when the card was in the device, it was a regular tablet and when it wasn't, it was a regular Nook.

That said, if there was a way to do shelves with the Barnes and Noble library (I have about 50+ books already), I would probably consider a full fledged tablet.

WalMart is running a Black Friday special on IPad2s, where it is $399 and you get a $75 WalMart gift card.

i absolutely love my nexus 7 - use it all the time for school and for fun. you can still use amazon's prime lending service on it - just need to download the kindle app (which you can do on almost any machine).

I have a Kindle Fire HD because I'm an Amazon whore and wanted to try their ecosystem. I like it, but anyone looking at similar tablets I recommend the Nexus 7, particularly if you're already an Android phone user.

i absolutely love my nexus 7 - use it all the time for school and for fun. you can still use amazon's prime lending service on it - just need to download the kindle app (which you can do on almost any machine).

The Nexus 7 has been the only Android tablet that I think is worth buying after using it.

I have the Asus TF101 that has been a great tablet. Bought it with the keyboard dock off of groupon. No complaints on my end. 2 USB ports, SD and micro SD slots, HDMI output. Well worth it.

Okay yeah, that Nexus does look pretty sweet. Where do they sell those so I can test drive it? Best Buy?

I have the Asus TF101 that has been a great tablet. Bought it with the keyboard dock off of groupon. No complaints on my end. 2 USB ports, SD and micro SD slots, HDMI output. Well worth it.

I've got an Asus TF201 and I highly recommend it!

I too am looking at getting a tablet and I think I will end up going with the Nook HD+. My reasoning is that I will using it for 75% for reading ebooks and I like the Nook feature of organizing your books onto shelves (I most recently had a Nook Color).

Back-lit tablets make bad reading devices. Hard on the eyes, and bad battery life.

I wanted to bump this thread because I can't seem to find a Nexus 10 in stores that I can test drive. Any ideas on that one?

Not sure, but I love my Amazon Kindle Fire HD.

Pros:
Price: $269 for 16GB, $299 for 32GB
Expandable SD card slot

Cons:
App store is not a full android app store so a lot of stuff is missing (like Comixology because then Barnes and Noble cannot make money selling graphic novels)
No camera, I don't think

With the Nook color, it was pretty easy to root the Nook and make it just a regular android tablet. Plus you could do it in a way where you would load the rooting software to an SD card and when the card was in the device, it was a regular tablet and when it wasn't, it was a regular Nook.

That said, if there was a way to do shelves with the Barnes and Noble library (I have about 50+ books already), I would probably consider a full fledged tablet.

Wife just got the Nook HD+. I love it. The cons are no camera, proprietary charger (not micro USB), and terrible stock Android build. That being said, the screen is amazing, and the developers just got CM10 working. It's super smooth with CM10. You can easily sideload apps or download from the Play Store if you're rooted now.

This. Just picked one up this past week and love it. functionality is great and it is fast.

Cons:
no expandable HD
No HDMI output
No Rear Camera (not a big deal for me, but for some it's a drawback)

Back