• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tackling

P4nthers11

Reaction score
This team can't do it. It wasn't the option that screwed us. We had hands on the ballcarrier and could not ever bring them down. Why? Is it a lack of instruction, lack of talent, or something else? They have been an embarrassment this season.

tackling was very bad in the first half, improved a little in the second, but not that much

we were greatly helped by the injury to their senior qb

+1 to this thread. we need to tackle better

Tackling seems worse across college football. But certainly our guys are struggling a bit.

Too many guys hitting up high where the runner has more leverage....not enough tackling low & taking out the legs.

Too many guys hitting up high where the runner has more leverage....not enough tackling low & taking out the legs.

Would think our staff could recognize this! It is a large part of the poor tackling. Trying to bump them to the ground. We had zero success tackling the Army FB high, but when we actually hit him around the legs the big gains stopped

Our ILBs aren't very good. They just don't seem to have the athletic ability to get off of blocks. It's like they are made of velcro. Our DL can't hold the line of scrimmage, and our LBs aren't stepping up and making plays.

Army's tackling technique was much better than ours. We had far more missed tackles than they did. Frankly, our defense isn't talented or big enough to be able to be poor tacklers as well. This has been a problem for the past several years.

Army's tackling technique was much better than ours. We had far more missed tackles than they did. Frankly, our defense isn't talented or big enough to be able to be poor tacklers as well. This has been a problem for the past several years.

Except for the 2006 group, you're right. And, it is inexcusable. Coaches must coach technique and not just schemes. Though, generally, we were better in the 2nd half.

This is our worst tackling team I have ever seen it has to improve if we want to win 3 more games.

It is incredibly hard for a defender to be agressive against an option. Thus, we were tackling from the side and behind. I would have like to see more blitzes to plug some holes but we stopped them just enough times. Probably Grobe's strategy. It ain't pretty but here we are at 3-1. It's almost funny we are so frustrated with this team at this point. Given the injuries and the inexperience I think we should be very happy with this team. I am.

Last edited:
It is incredibly hard for a defender to be agressive against an option. Thus, we were tackling from the side and behind. I would have like to see more blitzes to plug some holes but we stopped them just enough times. Probably Grobes strategy. I ain't pretty but here we are at 3-1. It's almost funny we are so frustrated with this team at this point. Given the injuries and the inexperience I think we should be very happy with this team. I am.

THIS.

This is our worst tackling team I have ever seen it has to improve if we want to win 3 more games.

We've had far worse tackling defenses under Grobe - especially during the Cory Randolph years - let alone all the other times that we genuinely sucked.

It is incredibly hard for a defender to be agressive against an option. Thus, we were tackling from the side and behind. I would have like to see more blitzes to plug some holes but we stopped them just enough times. Probably Grobe's strategy. It ain't pretty but here we are at 3-1. It's almost funny we are so frustrated with this team at this point. Given the injuries and the inexperience I think we should be very happy with this team. I am.

I figured with our thin lines when Whitlock went out on top of the other line injuries that we were likely toast for any chance at a bowl.

I figured with our thin lines when Whitlock went out on top of the other line injuries that we were likely toast for any chance at a bowl.

A healthy Whitlock would have disrupted a lot of Army's running game today. We should just count our blessings and move on.

I don't really see how Whitlock being out for a game or two should have made a difference. We knew we were going to lose to FSU, and we should have expected to beat Army even with a weak o-line and no-Whitlock.

I didn't think we would beat UNC when he went out. I figured that game was over.

Plus he isn't back yet. Hopefully Duke.

BTW, FSU is about to drop more points on the #10 team in the country than they did on us. They are good again, for real.

Back