• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tanner Price ~ Trial by fire to a man...

Lectro

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
WF fans watched (or tuned out) Tanner's midnight madness at Stanford 2 seasons past...the rookie, who had been offered by Jim Harbaugh, was taking a good old fashion whipping at the hands of the mighty Cardinal and their star QB, Andrew Luck. The kid hung in there and,at a freshly minted 18 years of age,acquited himself well despite the shellacking. He gutted it out and pointed to the day when he could call it a learning experience. WF fans have watched the kid go from a 6'2-190 pound doe-eyed QB as a true frosh to a workmanlike sophomore who threw 20 TD's and only 6 picks among his 3000 plus aerial yards.

Fast forward: 2012.... Price checks in at a shade under 6 foot 3 and 217 pounds. The kid who once broke all the H.S. records of Nic Foles and Drew Brees is set to become a man even though he remains as young as many redshirt freshmen across the land. The left-hander is preparing to take a step forward into the elite 2 or 3 QB's in the ACC and has a real chance to be the best of the bunch...not the best ath or fastest or least humble...but quite realistically the 'best QB' in the ACC.

The rising JR.'s and "Dueling Texans",one at Noseguard and the other at QB, are the cause for calling 2012 a very special season in the making.

*****Concern will go on about the OL but Himebaugh begins his stint with an ALL-ACC Candidate at Center (his old position which is a perfect start with he and 5th year Garrick Williams (6'4-315) 'anchoring' the line"). Then you add the return of a freshly dedicated Steven Chase. The one time 240 pound TE out of Virginia has been given a new lease and no doubt the new OL coach used a "chip" to get Chase back in the fold. The 6'7-318 pound LT has been working hard to shed the 'knot-head' tag and realizes he can make some real Sunday opportunities if he buckles down and siezes upon his vast potential.

* I recently 'heard' A.J. Marshall's pop talking about this new OL and he is excited...he feels it will be a strength of 2012 (contrary to most speculation) and I concur. Lots of size, good feet and nasty dispositions and the move of Frank Souza gives the Deacs another veteran whose talents will blend nicely with the hoss' Summers, Blitch, Ford, Preble, Heartsill, Goodwin, and Intemann. The Deacs also get 5th year SR Gabe Irby (6'3-325) back at G. He started and played well last year against NC State then was lost. There is much more real competition for positions across the line and that bodes well for all facets... it also helps that nothing is really expected of this group and the new coach has plenty of wiggle room in the area of 'pressure'. He can just do his thing...

Last edited:
I admit I was once skeptical of Tanner but he really improved by leaps and bounds and proved me very wrong. Hope you're right about the O-Line, as that has been my main, and pretty much only, concern going into this fall.

I admit I was once skeptical of Tanner but he really improved by leaps and bounds and proved me very wrong. Hope you're right about the O-Line, as that has been my main, and pretty much only, concern going into this fall.

I'm somewhat concerned about the safeties. Aren't we replacing both starters there? Linebackers also need to step up as a unit with Wilber moving on.

Gee..... I hope Lectro is more right than wrong. A glowing outlook feels good right now.

AJ is moving into a safety role I think he will be solid there. Lowe and Mack it is time to step up.

"...not the best ath or fastest or least humble"

Do tell.

"...not the best ath or fastest or least humble"

Do tell.

I've never gotten that impression from Tanner. Now Riley Skinner...he could give off "look at me I'm the quarterback" vibes.

Tanner's got the ability and WRs to make things happen.

His ceiling will be defined by the chronically disappointing OL and the mercurial running game. Hopefully this is the year that both of those units take their hands out of their pants and play ball for 60 minutes every week.

I need to see more wr's emerge before I am confident in the unit as a whole instead of just camp and maybe td.

In other news Gibson said he got a pic in his first practice today on the second play.

Found out Tate transferred to WSSU.

I need to see more wr's emerge before I am confident in the unit as a whole instead of just camp and maybe td.

In other news Gibson said he got a pic in his first practice today on the second play.

Found out Tate transferred to WSSU.

Gibson is a natural. Athlete with great confidence in his ability.

He picked Florida signee and consensus AA Jeff Driskell twice in 7 on 7's...and let Driskell know in a confident but not brash way.

IN!!! totes with lectro on this one. SO CISED for the O-Line to get BIG AND HAIRY this year.

Tanner's got the ability and WRs to make things happen.

His ceiling will be defined by the chronically disappointing OL and the mercurial running game. Hopefully this is the year that both of those units take their hands out of their pants and play ball for 60 minutes every week.

Pretty much spot on. If Tanner has time, and our backs not only have the holes, but can find them (and stay healthy, of course), it's a game changer for us. If not, same old same old.

Count me in the Pro Tanner Price camp. It's been obvious that he was one of the brightest spots on the team for his two years. he's shown talent, courage, and moxie. Has he been the game winner we had with Riley, no. But I think it's fair to say that the team overall was quite a bit more effective during Riley's career compared to tanner's. The defense was much, much better, and the special teams were much better. Overall, Riley was a tremendous leader and game winner, but I'm not convinced he was any better talent wise, or QB wise than tanner. If the team around him is stronger the next two years i believe we'll view Tanner as a game winner too.

I was sold on Tanner after the Duke game in 2010. Obviously the rest of that season was tough for him, but it was tough for everyone.

If the o-line steps up (and i do think that was one of the big problems with the running game last year) then Tanner will have a fantastic season.

needs to improve his accuracy and make better throws in clutch situations, but on the other hand, he is in a pretty short list of QBs who have led WF to a bowl game as a sophomore.

Tanner is a stud, the evidence was there in the Syracuse game last year. We went from world beaters to shit in 2 seconds flat once he left the game.

I like the growth & development that Tanner has shown....especially in light of him being given the reins as a true freshman. Agreed that Riley was a solid QB for us but he peaked early. If I remember right, the number of Deac wins declined each year. I'm hopeful that the wins continue to trend upward with Tanner at the helm.

Here's hoping Price is nowhere near 217 pounds right now as he isn't very fleet at his normal 205 pounds. He'll lose the extra weight pretty quick in August.

Oh and reserve G Irby had allowed himself to balloon last year so if he's now down to 325 that's good....better if he continues shedding to 305 or so.

Here's hoping Price is nowhere near 217 pounds right now as he isn't very fleet at his normal 205 pounds. He'll lose the extra weight pretty quick in August.

Oh and reserve G Irby had allowed himself to balloon last year so if he's now down to 325 that's good....better if he continues shedding to 305 or so.

That would be true for Price if he was a 25 year old athlete. This guy just turned twenty and he's still a way from being fully developed. His frame can easily handle 220 and will before he's done. Although a little cowboy-legged he is thick through his lower body and has a pretty good sized frame. So, just as he filled out from true to soph (190 to 205) you can expect that he has worked even harder in the weight room for this coming season. His speed and quicks improved from his true to soph season and though he'll not wow anybody with his wheels he will none the less be improved.

Gabe ain't gonna be 305...we might get him to 320 but he's just kind of beefy. :)

He's a pretty fair ball player if we can keep him on the field.

Not to steal away from Price and the thread.

But there is much speculation about the QB situation after the life of Price. Is it sousa or cameron? I am leaning towards sousa

Back