• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Taxing the "Rich"

Just a thought, but couldn't the increase in tax share even with the massive tax cuts have something to do with the extreme growth in the top 1% income?

ir_22f1.gif

20111029_WOC689.gif

Stephen Moore, Senior Economics Writer, Wall Street Journal Editorial Board- what a shock that this is his opinion.

The top 1% has seen their tax rates drop by almost half, while their income is over 350% of what it was in 1979. Cry me a river.

Their income rises at a much higher rate than the rest of the country so therefore their tax share increases. Simple indeed.

If the rest of the country's income would have risen at the same rate, the tax share of the top 1% would be significantly less due to the reduction in tax rates.

Just a thought, but couldn't the increase in tax share even with the massive tax cuts have something to do with the extreme growth in the top 1% income?

Bingo, we have a winner. That's exactly what's happened. Read something about it over the last few weeks, but I'm having trouble locating it

I have seen quite a bit of Stephen Moore, and I think very little of him.

The top 1% has seen their tax rates drop by almost half, while their income is over 350% of what it was in 1979. Cry me a river.

He doesn't deny this. His point is that the lowering of the tax rate has caused this income increase and, therefore, that raising the tax rate would paradoxically result in less tax revenue.

Lowering the tax rates have nothing to do with income increases. It's a BS and false premise.

He doesn't deny this. His point is that the lowering of the tax rate has caused this income increase and, therefore, that raising the tax rate would paradoxically result in less tax revenue.

If cutting tax rates increases income, then why make point #7?

Back