• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Teach me to sports bet

drdeac

Reaction score
I would like to start betting a little on sports, but not that much because I'm still a grad student. However, I would bet I'm not the only one on this board who may wish they knew more about how this works.

Anyone would any good links or info on how to bet on sports online, (I would bet on CFB)?

Anyone been really successful at this?

1) Place bet on
2) ....
3) Immediately cancel bet and take the opposite position
4) Profit

Vegas is always right and always wins.

This was years ago, but I spent a week in Vegas and followed a friend's suggestion for college BB to take the visitor if the home team was favored by 3 or less. I made $20 bets on a handful of games each night,was up about $250 at the end of the week,and lost it all that Sunday on a single Super Bowl bet.

Bovada.lv

Good site, easy to use. You can bet games, halves, individual plays, and you can easily do parlays.

several years ago i was in the mgm grand in vegas. i walked up to the sports book and the exchange when like this

"give me 5 on wake forest to beat fla state."
"500 on wake forest to win vs fla state."
"uh... i mean 5 bucks."
<look of disgust. why are you wasting my time?>
<more disdain> "5... dollars... on wake forest to beat fla state..."

i should have bet the 5 hundy because wake won and i could have taken home 1500.

I had very high success for a number of years, and then the last season I bet online I lost my shirt.

First rule, and the hardest by far: never bet with your heart, one way or another.
2."Teasers are just that" they seem so easy and you normally lose
3.Each week I would find the one bet I liked the most, and I would go strong with it, and even throw it in on a few parlays, if you are wrong, big loss, but if you hit which I honestly think if you do the research you can win more than 60% of the time, the parlay will divide and you can win some cash.
4.Find a good national website with opinions from all over the country. Local hype can sway you into some bad picks. I like wagerline.com (now called covers). I go under the tab consensus and see where the betters are going. You can then click on a team and then go to "Thread" and read a thread on the game at hand.
5.Put aside an amount you are comfortable losing, once it is gone quit for the year.
6.Do not bet out of boredom or to keep yourself interested in a game that will be on T.V.. Blind gambling is like flushing your cash down the tubes.

1) Find out who Wake is playing
2) Bet on them

Sorry to follow my own post, but if you are wanting to bet on Football only, I might suggest you start an "Pool" with some friends. I started doing this after I quit betting the online boys. I now have a pool where everyone puts in $80 ($5 per entry to the site). You can bet straight picks, over unders, Parlays, NFL & NCAA. I use : www.officefootballpool.com. Works on smartphones as well. Just like betting with the man. Person or persons with the most points at the end of the season gets paid. Most will bust before the season ends. Choose the amount you and your buddies are willing to lose, and keep the money local rather than some guy behind a computer in Antigua.

I bet with a private service which gives you a lot more options than some of the public sites so if you know someone who can get you plugged into this, I'd say go for it. So far this year I'm 7-3-1 (0-2) last weekend (thank you Pitt -3.5 against Duke). Anyway, tardawgs top rule is a must. It's really hard to do. I usually don't bet on teams that I like except for the safest bet this year: the wake UNDER.

Also, I am a proponent of 1H bets, but many don't like these. What I look for is teams like Oregon, Clemson, etc who run a higher paced offense and put up lots of points. I get them when they play weaker but not terrible opponents (i.e. Oregon vs. UVA). I take the 1H bet which was -13 Oregon thinking that they would at least put up a ton of points in the 1H (which they did with 35) and play some form of defense (only gave up 10 the whole game). Also, those types of teams you can look at the OVER. Somehow Oregon-Tenn covered at 72.5, a game I did not touch. This is just my approach though so certainly see what you like to do and what makes it worthwhile.

Tardawg's #5 has always been key for me.

Betting is entertainment. You put aside $$ for a vacation, and when you go, you enjoy. Same with betting football games. Put aside $500, $1000, whatever. Bet and enjoy.

Okay, random question

So consider the following for my question:

Team A, +5 -115
Team B, -5 +105

The -105 and +110 are in the point spread section and not in the moneyline section. Why are the betting stakes different (I'm assuming you have to risk $105 to get $100 with Team A, while you risk $100 for a profit of $110 if betting on Team B)? Is it simply a different way to influence the betting?

Most of the spreads have the normal -110 for both teams but a few of the matchups include the above scenario (talking NFL betting if it matters)

1) Place bet on
2) ....
3) Immediately cancel bet and take the opposite position
4) Profit

Vegas is always right and always wins.

I know this is a joke, but this is not how Vegas makes its money on sports betting.

Okay, random question

So consider the following for my question:

Team A, +5 -115
Team B, -5 +105

The -105 and +110 are in the point spread section and not in the moneyline section. Why are the betting stakes different (I'm assuming you have to risk $105 to get $100 with Team A, while you risk $100 for a profit of $110 if betting on Team B)? Is it simply a different way to influence the betting?

Most of the spreads have the normal -110 for both teams but a few of the matchups include the above scenario (talking NFL betting if it matters)

Another way to influence betting without moving the line to -4.5.

Another way to influence betting without moving the line to -4.5.

Yep.

You've come at a good time. College football is probably the most fun and most profitable thing I bet on. Get a hot team and ride them. Made all my money on Kansas State and Oregon last year. Oregon looking good against the spread again this year even when laying ridiculous numbers. A big piece of advice though is to not get drawn in by the biggest games of the day. Lots of money to be made on less hyped games.

I've already made the over on an NFL player prop (Justin Houston, 8 sacks), but it looks like bovada won't pay out until the season is over. Is that normal?

Back