• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Teacher Throws Panty Party for Grade Schoolers

i unfortunately have known a family recently that has a 9 year old boy who was actually sexually assaulting other children. it's unbelievably horrible and has traumatized both the victims' families AND the 9 year old boy's family. but does that mean that when i have my own kids, i'll never just let them play with their friends in the next room without me watching like a hawk? heck no.

you can't live your entire life fearing that every single person you come across could potentially be the most evil person on the planet. it just doesn't work like that. you can't live in fear every minute of the day. you HAVE to have some level of trust or EVERYTHING is paralyzed. when one day you and mrs. deakfreak07 have kids, you're going to want to have a date night. are you never, ever going to have a date night unless one of your parents is in town to be the sitter because you can't trust another soul alone with your kids?

i unfortunately have known a family recently that has a 9 year old boy who was actually sexually assaulting other children. it's unbelievably horrible and has traumatized both the victims' families AND the 9 year old boy's family. but does that mean that when i have my own kids, i'll never just let them play with their friends in the next room without me watching like a hawk? heck no.

you can't live your entire life fearing that every single person you come across could potentially be the most evil person on the planet. it just doesn't work like that. you can't live in fear every minute of the day. you HAVE to have some level of trust or EVERYTHING is paralyzed. when one day you and mrs. deakfreak07 have kids, you're going to want to have a date night. are you never, ever going to have a date night unless one of your parents is in town to be the sitter because you can't trust another soul alone with your kids?

You're taking it too far.

- First of all, we're talking about awareness of adult-child interactions, not child-child.

- You're not fearing that every single person you come across could potentially be the most evil person on the planet. You're just making smart choices by being aware of tricky situations.

- You do have some level of trust, just not as high as we all wish we could have.

And, really, we're mostly talking about professional/institutional settings. Of course I would use what I know from those settings in my personal life, but if I have a personal relationship of trust with a friend, I would most likely be fine with having the friend drive my kid around (or, conversely, driving my friend's kid around). Same with fellow parents, teachers, etc. If I know them well enough to trust them, then I'm going to, well, trust them.

This is mostly about setting rules, in institutional settings, so that 1) supervisors can ensure that chances for abuse are minimized and 2) people can feel safe leaving their children with people they don't really know personally. These rules can sometimes helpfully inform our private lives. That's it. Don't make it more than it is.

You're taking it too far.

- First of all, we're talking about awareness of adult-child interactions, not child-child.

- You're not fearing that every single person you come across could potentially be the most evil person on the planet. You're just making smart choices by being aware of tricky situations.

- You do have some level of trust, just not as high as we all wish we could have.

And, really, we're mostly talking about professional/institutional settings. Of course I would use what I know from those settings in my personal life, but if I have a personal relationship of trust with a friend, I would most likely be fine with having the friend drive my kid around (or, conversely, driving my friend's kid around). Same with fellow parents, teachers, etc. If I know them well enough to trust them, then I'm going to, well, trust them.

This is mostly about setting rules, in institutional settings, so that 1) supervisors can ensure that chances for abuse are minimized and 2) people can feel safe leaving their children with people they don't really know personally. These rules can sometimes helpfully inform our private lives. That's it. Don't make it more than it is.

that may be all that YOU are talking about, but it's not all that deacfreak07 is talking about. he specifically said he's worried about the idea of one day having a babysitter. he also said that he doesn't believe an adult should EVER be alone with a child. and i know we're discussing adult-child interactions, but the premise here is that because there are people like sandusky out there, we should ALL have super tight standards on our lives. i'm saying that i know a 9 year old child who is capable of awful things. so does that mean that we should have super tight standards for all child-child interactions as well.

Back