• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Technology Thread: Building a Desktop Computer

So...

My new mobo is SATA...of course.....but I wanted to see if I could connect my old 500GB hard drive (IDE) to my motherboard somehow so I don't have to use USB.

I can't seem to find an adapter that will work with Windows 7 and get more than SATA 1.0 speeds.

Anyone know if this is possible?

So I just bought a 64GB SSD...

Any tips on how to set this up without bogging down the SSD out of the gate?

I've spent the better part of the weekend researching my build. Used reddit's sub forums BAPC (build a pc), newegg, tom'shardware and other sites to figure out my build. Also to organize I'd suggest PCpartpicker.com. An awesome way to keep track of stuff and replace pieces as you find superior ones during research.

Still trying to decide how big I want to go vs price. Like is it realllllllly worth it to go much beyond the GTX560ti or the HD6950 video card when it plays all the games I like well beyond 60fps already? Getting a 2GB version one of those I think and in the future when they stop being sufficient or games require more GB per monitor just SLI/Crossfire them.

Same thing goes with GB of memory and ram. Do I really need a 128+ SSD or should I just get a 64 and an external HDD. Do I really need 16/32GB or is 8 fine for things out there now. I can't find any application I would do that would need more than 8.

1 thing I am settled on. That I5 2500k is a piece of work. I put one in my brothers PC and OC'd it out of the box and it is soooo good for the price point.

Anyone have inputs on those card points from personal experience or the SSD vs HDD sizes?

I ended up using a 128GB SSD, I'm very conscientious about deleting games I'm not playing anymore and I still am close to running out. I also run Windows off this drive though, which I think takes up like 35GB of it.

I have the 2500K and haven't even overclocked it yet because it's already blazing.

I would honestly go as big as you can afford so that you can futureproof your computer and not have to upgrade again in a year or 2.

I would honestly go as big as you can afford so that you can futureproof your computer and not have to upgrade again in a year or 2.

I agree with this. I got the fastest computer that I could afford [i.e., that wife would allow me to get] in 2008 and all I've had to do since is put in a modestly priced GPU and upgrade to Windows 7. Probably good for another couple years.

This is how mine ended up, just have to figure out how to optimize it for adding the SSD.

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($137.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Crucial M4 64GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 2GB Video Card ($164.99 @ Microcenter)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 ATX Mid Tower Case ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($164.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG UH12LS28 OEM Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VH238H 23.0" Monitor ($168.95 @ Mac Connection)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Keyboard/Mouse: Logitech MK320 Wireless Standard Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($27.99 @ Dell)
Total: $1226.84

Move all non-essential/resource critical files to a secondary harddrive. Reinstall Windows on the SSD and only use it for videogames/frequently used programs.

Make sure your other HD isn't still hooked up when you do the system install on the new flash drive.

Ohh, an SSD uses NAND based flash-memory. So I refer to them that way sometimes.

Oh ok

4h5w1t.jpg

So, Ivy Bridge should be out in a Core - i5 platform in the first portion of H1. Looks like the more performance oriented version will be released in second half of H1.

This is looking good for my upgrade plans.

2011-intel-roadmap.jpg

Cancel Ivy Bridge plans. I'm getting my tax return earlier than expected.

I think I want to get a new case. I'm currently looking at some by Fractal Design. Newer company and reasonably priced.

Probably going to go with a full tower. I'm sick of having to deal with external hard drives all across my desk.

Crucial M4

Which reminds me, Imma need to update that firmware. Apparently there is a bug w/ the initial firmware that causes it to go dead after like 5000 hours.

Eh, it doesn't go dead I don't think, just automatically restarts or something every hour.

I just got a 64GB M4 and it wasn't a big deal at all to upgrade the firmware...not that you might think it is or anything.

But yea...trying to figure out what, if anything, I should spend my tax refund on....but I'm pretty much already done with my whole build...nothing more to add.

Back