• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Technology Thread: Building a Desktop Computer

Intel is the way to go right now. AMD can't get their head out of their ass and haven't since they got the jump on the 64bit processors 10 years ago.

Intel is the way to go right now. AMD can't get their head out of their ass and haven't since they got the jump on the 64bit processors 10 years ago.

Yup.

Here's a breakdown on AMD's new microarchitecture update that they hope will compete with Intel's i5/i7 series.

Quote from the article:

"In typical desktop scenarios—productivity, content creation, and gaming—the Bulldozer usually performs worse than Intel's slightly cheaper four-core, four-thread Core i5-2500K. Sometimes much worse, dropping behind the cheaper-still i5-2400. "

I just didn't wanna spend $200+ on the CPU, but I guess that's where I need to go.

Yeah, AMD/Radeon is tempting price-wise, but I think it's still better to go Intel/NVidia despite the cost. If you're looking for a decent sub-$200 CPU, look at the i5-2300,2310,2320, or 2400. You might find a deal on the 2500 under $200.

I just didn't wanna spend $200+ on the CPU, but I guess that's where I need to go.

You can get a core i3 for $125. It will be LGA 1155 so you can use it in a better motherboard and upgrade later if you so choose.

Should I definitely go Intel?...or would an AMD cpu be sufficient if I'm not going for hardcore gaming?

It depends. AMD is usually a 20% performance hit for a 40% or more price reduction. If you only do regular tasks and are price-conscious about a $100 or so, I'd go with AMD. If $100 is not a lot and you do any multi-media, scientific computing, or hardcore gaming, go with Intel.

On a related note, my parents are buying my sis a laptop when she goes to college this summer and have told me I can have her desktop for my office. It is a POS right now, but since I don't have to buy it, I'm gonna put some money in it to make it good enough.

No games, just 'Net, email, word processing, but I like to have 10 windows up at once when I'm researching. I'm thinking Windows 7, a hard drive upgrade, and a bunch of RAM? Do I need to look into things like processors, etc?

On a related note, my parents are buying my sis a laptop when she goes to college this summer and have told me I can have her desktop for my office. It is a POS right now, but since I don't have to buy it, I'm gonna put some money in it to make it good enough.

No games, just 'Net, email, word processing, but I like to have 10 windows up at once when I'm researching. I'm thinking Windows 7, a hard drive upgrade, and a bunch of RAM? Do I need to look into things like processors, etc?

You'll have to give us the model of the PC and at least the motherboard model # or CPU type. There will probably be constrictions on the amount of RAM you can install, but with a Windows 7 machine, used solely for what you want to use it for, you should be fine with 4GB.

You might not even need to replace the HDD, just give us the model of that as well.

You'll have to give us the model of the PC and at least the motherboard model # or CPU type. There will probably be constrictions on the amount of RAM you can install, but with a Windows 7 machine, used solely for what you want to use it for, you should be fine with 4GB.

You might not even need to replace the HDD, just give us the model of that as well.

Nice. Won't be for a while, probably, but I appreciate it.

I don't think I'd go with less than 8GB at this point. Especially if you like to keep a lot of apps running. RAM is ridiculously cheap right now, if you're getting DDR3 1333 it will be like $30-35 total.

I don't think I'd go with less than 8GB at this point. Especially if you like to keep a lot of apps running. RAM is ridiculously cheap right now, if you're getting DDR3 1333 it will be like $30-35 total.

If it's an older computer, it could be using DDR or DDR2 which could increase the price.

Also, you can't buy anything larger than 2GB DDR sticks and 4GB DDR2 sticks and they are all fairly expensive comparatively.

I built a computer in high school and the results were kind of iffy.. It would randomly reboot, disconnect from the internet, and often times not even start. Computer builds are really interesting to me, but that initial project kind of discouraged me from continuing the hobby. I'm interested in building a home media PC that can serve as a DVR for my Directv box. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks in advanced.

My only problem is I get all pumped up about this and am gonna hate waiting between paychecks/disposable income to purchase the parts.

My only desktop is 5+ years old so all the parts are outdated already...I could technically use the case, but there aren't enough drive bays for what I want.

I built a computer in high school and the results were kind of iffy.. It would randomly reboot, disconnect from the internet, and often times not even start. Computer builds are really interesting to me, but that initial project kind of discouraged me from continuing the hobby. I'm interested in building a home media PC that can serve as a DVR for my Directv box. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks in advanced.

I did exactly this because I wanted DirecTV2PC on an HTPC connected to my upstairs 42" HDTV.

Big things to watch out for - DirecTV2PC has extremely tight controls on HDMI protection. Only newer chipsets with full audio and video encryption will work. Macs are out of the running even when running Windows because of this.

Have you checked out avsforum? They have an HTPC thread complete with buying guides that is excellent. I'd go cheap, small, quiet, and cool. In my opinion if you want to watch Blu Rays, just buy a blu ray player as watching them on a Windows machine is annoying as hell. Also note that to stream HD you probably need a wired connection or a hell of a good wireless one. I went with a Powerline solution and it has been excellent.

Also, I got one of these and it is pretty awesome for the money:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005A1T0OG

As far as putting in an HD Tuner card, throwing up an antenna, using Windows Media Center as a DVR, etc. - I have all that, and I never use it because it is just awful. The guide support is awful, the programmed recordings routinely fail, cut out, or record the wrong thing, channels take forever to tune, become inexplicably unavailable... It's just a huge PITA for anyone other than a true hobbyist.

Yeah, if I had moar money I would have gone w/ a modular power supply, but that will do (compared to my shitty no-name brand 500w I currently have).

As far as putting in an HD Tuner card, throwing up an antenna, using Windows Media Center as a DVR, etc. - I have all that, and I never use it because it is just awful. The guide support is awful, the programmed recordings routinely fail, cut out, or record the wrong thing, channels take forever to tune, become inexplicably unavailable... It's just a huge PITA for anyone other than a true hobbyist.

I consider going this route every time I pay the cable bill. I think I could deal with it, but the wife would not be able to turn on the damn TV or change the channels without my help (she can barely do it now on a simple home theater setup) and I don't want the aggravation. I figure Apple is going to eventually roll out an Apple TV that is simple enough for women to use and has access to live sports, and I will buy that or an Android knock-off thereof. No offense Pit female posters.

Back