• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Teen deaths during football

riscdeac

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
Maybe this belongs on the sports board.

Wondering since we have had a few deaths recently - one high school kid die due to a a military type drill where kids carry a log overhead and the weaker side couldnt pull their weight,
Log slipped and slammed into a kids head and killed him.

Another freshman died on a fairly cool morning of cardiac arrest after running laps.

Last year a kid was hit hard and was taken out then put back in the game and hit again. Colllapsed and died due to an enlarged spleen. Kid had mono and didn't know it.

I know these are freak accidents with possible underlying conditions.

Any physician has opinions on possibly mandatory EkGs for kids who want to play high school sports? Would that help and how to pay? Also heat stroke seems to be another issue.

Maybe not a hot topic for discussion. I'm happy defribilators are available on the field during games and practices.

Any comments? If not, no big deal. There's a dad, coach and physician looking into mandatory EKGs. Can't hurt but where to start? Saving one life is worth a look into it.

I'm in the car and typing on my phone. Sorry for all the errors but the trick is bouncing all over the place. Hard to type.

Last edited:
Sudden cardiac arrest is common and can strike anyone without symptoms. It's more common than we think. My sister in law died at 43 in a yoga class perfectly healthy young woman. Extended autopsy and nothing. Short circuit or something in the electrical system the body. A defribilator would have saved her.

Olympic silver medalist had a heart attack like that during an F3 workout. Saved by CPR. Easy to learn. Everyone should know how to do CPR.

Back