• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tell me about Baltimore

Nick's in Cross Street Market is the only place in the world where you'll see a sushi chef wearing a camo NFL jersey.

^one of my favorite blogs. I don't check it nearly enough though. Definitely seen a few zombies worthy of submission but never have executed a good picture. The best chance was one that would have been right out my window, but figuring out who took the picture would have been extremely easy so no dice.

I grew up in Balmur and go back often because my sisters still live there. I pretty much echo damo's and fax's comments. CHill is correct about the heroin. It's a big Eastern port city and thus a big destination for the heroin trade. At 1 point a decade or so ago, I had read that 10% of the city population was hooked on heroin. From what I've heard, it's not quite as bad now. (You get the same thing in Philly and to a little lesser extent in Richmond.)

I love Balmur and am a Ravens season ticket holder. Great restaurant and sports city and agree with the earlier comments on entertainment. It's a quirky city that is having to change from it's rust belt economy, like so many other rust belt cities. Watch the ESPN 30 for 30 on the Colts Marching Band and Barry Levinson's Balmur trilogy to get a sense of the quirkiness. Like other Northeastern cities with disparate populations, it has a history of segregated neighborhoods with large pockets of African American, Jewish, Italian and Eastern European folks. Much less segregated now with a lot more Asians and Latinos than there were 20-30 years ago.

If your daughter is pre-school, it might be fun to live downtown or in other good neighborhoods in the city. As others have said, unfortunately the city schools aren't great. My sisters both teach in the Balmur County schools, and they can vary but are better than the city schools. So eventually, you'll probably want to settle in a neighborhood with a good elementary school and is still convenient to working downtown. If you live in/near Towon/Timonium, you can catch the lightrail to and from work (takes 30-40 minutes), and most of the schools are at least ok. As your daughter gets older, she'll want to wear purple on Fridays during football season to fit in. You'll pretty much have to become a Ravens and O's fan.

^one of my favorite blogs. I don't check it nearly enough though. Definitely seen a few zombies worthy of submission but never have executed a good picture. The best chance was one that would have been right out my window, but figuring out who took the picture would have been extremely easy so no dice.

1zcpw0o.jpg

I hope this works. I took this picture on my way to work about a month ago. The picture should show a guy passed out in an office chair on the sidewalk at 9 am. It was amazing.

I have a strong affinity for B-more mostly because of the Orioles. Been going there since I was a kid. Loved the aquarium too. As I've gotten older I've come to appreciate the city more. Love Fed Hill, feels like Old Town Alexandria to me but you can walk to the inner harbor and orioles games. Have had friends that live in Fells Point.

Like all big cities there is good and bad. My sister lived there while in grad school, in the Mt Vernon area. Petty theft and random street crime is a problem. People just kind of toss it up to the cost of living in downtown Baltimore, but my sisters car got keyed up for no apparent reason. Her roomates's car was lifted. There were random break ins in her apartment building. Some people she worked with were mugged. Its a problem here in DC too, but the stories just seem to be more substantiated in Baltimore. Its a rough city, no way around that. But there's also a lot to love about it.

Like all big cities there is good and bad. My sister lived there while in grad school, in the Mt Vernon area. Petty theft and random street crime is a problem. People just kind of toss it up to the cost of living in downtown Baltimore, but my sisters car got keyed up for no apparent reason. Her roomate's car was lifted. There were random break ins in her apartment building. Some people she worked with were mugged. Its a problem here in DC too, but the stories just seem to be more substantiated in Baltimore. Its a rough city, no way around that.

This is called living in a city. I live in an absurdly nice neighborhood in SF, and this stuff happens here just the same. I have personal stories like this about every city I've lived in.

This is called living in a city. I live in an absurdly nice neighborhood in SF, and this stuff happens here just the same. I have personal stories like this about every city I've lived in.

Yeah, same stuff happens here in Cville - just everything on a smaller scale.

Moved in to my new place this past weekend close to UMBC campus. Went out for the first time after work downtown at Kona for happy hour. It was pretty cool. Jdawg and deacondamo hit me up some time, and I'll buy you a couple of beers watching some BzzBall.

Back