• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tell me about Chandler/Phoenix, AZ

RevDeac06

OGBoards Chaplain
Reaction score
Looking at a potential church there. I know it's hot as hell in the summer, but anyone have any experience living out there?

I'm interviewing for residency in Phoenix and Tucson in January and would start out there in July. I spent a summer in Phoenix during undergrad doing research. It was hot, but I didn't mind. I really liked the outdoor opportunities that were available. That being said, I was there for only 3 months, so I didn't get to do that much. Excited to interview down there though..will be watching this thread too to see if anyone else has more experience with the area.

Your kids will like the place in Chandler that makes homemade root beer.

Housing is very, very, very reasonable.

So give back to Caesar what is JACK SHIT, and to God what is God’s?

Looking at a potential church there. I know it's hot as hell in the summer, but anyone have any experience living out there?

Been here for 9 years. What do you want to know?

I travel out there for work a lot. Hot as hell in the summer, even into the late evening. Very pleasant from late fall through mid-spring though. In the winter, Flagstaff is driving distance away and has decent skiing. My issue is that everything in and around PHX is very brown. Housing is fairly reasonable for the area.

Also, ASU Coeds are everywhere.

ITK, if one were to live in any of the surrounding areas like Mesa, Chandler etc.. is traffic crazy to get to downtown on a normal workday to the hospitals? Or, would it be more worthwhile to live nearby. I live in Chicago now, where traffic is terrible at ALL times,, so I'm trying to avoid this and would ideally like to take no more than 15-20 minutes to get to/from the hospital.

ITK, if one were to live in any of the surrounding areas like Mesa, Chandler etc.. is traffic crazy to get to downtown on a normal workday to the hospitals? Or, would it be more worthwhile to live nearby. I live in Chicago now, where traffic is terrible at ALL times,, so I'm trying to avoid this and would ideally like to take no more than 15-20 minutes to get to/from the hospital.

Yes, the 101 is slow Northbound and the 10 & 202 are slow westbound. 7 years ago I lived in downtown Phoenix and drove to Tempe. That was the reverse commute and it was easy but to live in Mesa or Chandler and work in downtown Phoenix you will hit traffic. Sorry.

Thanks!

Any ideas on what kind of areas one might consider living closer to downtown on around 1k/month for rent?

Any reason why you don't want to live downtown? Its not real city dangerous.

I just remember during my summer there, there didn't seem to be that much going on down there. Plus I would rather rent a house or something with a little space rather than an apartment.

Been here for 9 years. What do you want to know?

Never been out that way (though would visit for an interview before taking a job) and have always lived on the east coast. So cultural differences? Sounds like housing is reasonable? Good food scene?

sent from my Galaxy Note II via Tapatalk 4

I just remember during my summer there, there didn't seem to be that much going on down there. Plus I would rather rent a house or something with a little space rather than an apartment.

Not much going on in Mesa or Chandler either. It's really picked up some in the last two years.

Mesa and Chandler were just the first two areas that came to mind, I know there are a lot more. Besides your job what keeps you in PHX? The quality of life must be good?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Any restaurant recommendations in Phoenix? Heading out there in March and want to eat somewhere baller.

Did a show there a few years back - spent a month in Tucson and a month in Phoenix. Loved the former; did not love the latter. Although there was a great soul food restaurant not too far from the Suns arena...

Back