• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tell me about Gwen Ifill

Gwendolyn L. "Gwen" Ifill (pron.: /ˈaɪfəl/;[1] born September 29, 1955) is an American journalist, television newscaster and author. She is the managing editor and moderator of Washington Week and a senior correspondent for the PBS NewsHour, both of which air on PBS. She is a political analyst, and moderated the 2004 and 2008 Vice Presidential debates. She is the author of the book The Breakthrough: Politics and Race in the Age of Obama.

E-mail we got from natty if peeps are curious

Dear Seniors:

As has become my practice, I am contacting you with advance word regarding our 2013 Commencement and Baccalaureate speakers. This information will be shared publicly shortly.

I am pleased to let you know that our 2013 Commencement speaker will be Gwen Ifill. She is a respected journalist who is moderator and managing editor of “Washington Week” and senior correspondent for “PBS NewsHour.”

She may be best known for covering six Presidential campaigns and moderating two vice presidential debates – in 2004 between Republican Vice President Dick Cheney and former Democratic Senator John Edwards and in 2008 between Democratic Senator Joe Biden and Republican Gov. Sarah Palin. She is the best-selling author of "The Breakthrough: Politics and Race in the Age of Obama."

Her record of achievement as a journalist and author, a significant career of reporting on current events both national and international and commitment to straightforward dialogue will mean so much to the Wake Forest community. Ms. Ifill’s career provides an example for young women and men like you on our campus.

Before joining PBS in 1999, Ifill was chief congressional and political correspondent for NBC News, White House correspondent for The New York Times, and a local and national political reporter for The Washington Post. She reports on a wide range of issues from foreign affairs to U.S. politics and policies, interviewing national and international newsmakers. Her journalistic work has been honored by the Radio and Television News Director’s Association, Harvard’s Joan Shorenstein Center, Ebony Magazine and Boston’s Ford Hall Forum.

I am certain you will give her a warm and enthusiastic welcome at Wake Forest.

Also joining us for commencement weekend will be Baccalaureate speaker Dr. Carolyn Y. Woo, president and CEO of Catholic Relief Services (CRS), the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. She came to CRS in January 2012 after a distinguished academic career.

Dr. Woo has led a life and career characterized by academic achievement at the highest levels, strategic and visionary leadership as well as deep moral and ethical commitments that have inspired and directed both her personal and professional life. Integrity and success are not trade-offs in her career.

Woo speaks often on issues around corporate citizenship, ethical business and individual integrity. She was born and raised in Hong Kong and immigrated to the United States to attend college at Purdue University, where she received her B.S., M.S.I.A. and Ph.D. degrees. She was the first female dean to chair the accreditation body for business schools and directed its initiative for Peace through Commerce.

CRS was founded in 1943 by the Catholic bishops of the United States to serve survivors of World War II in Europe. Since then, it has become one of the worlds largest and most respected international relief and development agencies, each year reaching more than 130 million people in nearly 100 counties.

I would like to thank the students, faculty members and administrators on our Commencement Speaker Advisory Committee who provided input and contributed to a more visible and transparent selection process. Their work has enriched our campus.

I look forward to sharing with you the excitement, pomp and circumstance of Baccalaureate and Commencement May 19-20.

Sincerely,

Nathan O. Hatch

Oh great another journalist!!!1111111111111oneoneone BOOO HISSSSS

ETA: I can't believe we missed on Oprah or Jon Stewart AGAIN!

Ifill is a nice get. I certainly prefer someone of her caliber over some obnoxious politician.

Ifill is awesome. I kind of have more of a thing for Judy Woodruff even though she's an old lady, and she's married to a Deac, but Ifill is a good get.

But the big news is Dr. Wu!

I saw Melissa Harris-Perry ('94) speak at a conference this past week - she was truly engaging and funny. I wonder if she's ever been extended an offer to speak at commencement.

The trophy is still safe with the class of 2009.

600.jpg

http://www.theonion.com/articles/shirtless-biden-washes-trans-am-in-white-house-dri,2718/

I saw Melissa Harris-Perry ('94) speak at a conference this past week - she was truly engaging and funny. I wonder if she's ever been extended an offer to speak at commencement.

You may know this, but she spoke on campus in September of this year as part of the Faces of Courage events. MH-P and her show/viewpoints was the "project" for incoming freshmen. There were segments of her show to watch and readings to discuss.

6 of the last 10 speakers with political/journalistic backgrounds. There goes Wake pandering to the Poli Sci department as always!

Ok, I'm done with the sarcasm.

I think this is a great selection and I look forward to her speech in May.

I just wish it was a more exciting pick. I would love to get a guy like Mark Cuban to do our commencement speech. I know he is a business guy but I think he is much more than just that.

I just wish it was a more exciting pick. I would love to get a guy like Mark Cuban to do our commencement speech. I know he is a business guy but I think he is much more than just that.

I think it is very evident that it is hard for our community to look past the bolded section.

Back