• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tell me about tybee island

really laid back, kind of hippie and run down. maybe "older" vs run down.

i love it.

It's less than an hour away. How much time do you plan to spend splashing about in the ocean all by yourself anyway?

maybe its worth it to drive 2 more hours to panama city or destin

Tybee blows. Super redneck and the water is brown (and probably not that clean) for most of the year since the Savannah river empties into the Atlantic right there.

Defs worth another hour and a half to hit PCB or Destin.

the crab house or whatever it's called out there sucks

Yeah, don't go to the "famous place" out there, it blows. AJ's Dockside is good, the Breakfast Club is great, and there's a pretty awesome dive bar there - Huca Poos. A sort of awesome/hilarious time is at Rock House.

Tybee blows. Super redneck and the water is brown (and probably not that clean) for most of the year since the Savannah river empties into the Atlantic right there.

Huh?

Silt-y river water often has a brownish hue, so the water near the island might be brackish and appear brown as well. It wasn't brown when I was there, but it was pretty murky

Depends what you are into. I spent a week at Tybee first week in April and really liked it. Very wooded for a beach community and bike friendly. The old beach cottages largely remain, unlike at many other beaches where they have been replaced with 3 story cookie cutter houses. Kinda artsy. There are some good places to eat, including AJs mentioned above, and a cool pizza/sandwich/beer joint with a patio on the main drag into town. Good fishing too. And 20 mins from Savannah.

Skip Tybee, go to Sea Island or Seaside instead.

Watercolor down near Seaside is lovely.

That being said, Tybee Island has improved a great deal in the last 10 years.

Back