• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Terrance Thompson

Wrangor

Go Deacs
Reaction score
Added for 17-18? BSD just put it out there.

Also posted on the BB Recruiting Thread:

Just looked up Terrence Thompson on kenpom, and this is the rundown:

TT was 7th on the Herd in minutes in 2017 playing 37.3% of the Herd's minutes. His O rating was 112.4 which was 3rd best on their team. His eFG% is 54%. TT shot 56% from 2, but only 29% from 3 (7 for 24). He shot 63% from the line. He rebounds well as TT led the Herd in offensive rebounding percentage, and was 2nd in defensive rebounding percentage. Thompson missed all of December and a little of January with an injury. Because of his injury, TT only played one game last year against a Power Conference Team (Ohio State), he played 31 minutes, scored 2 points (1-11 from the field) 10 boards in a 41 point loss.

Seems to me like a slightly better offensive version of Greg McLinton.

Glad to have his added experience on the roster.

With all due respect I believe that Thompson will have a much bigger impact that McClinton. His numbers are very good at Marshall from an advanced stats standpoint and he should start and get 20 minutes per game.

This is a huge addition for multiple reasons, and I believe it could very well be the difference between making the Tournament and not for this year. It also prevents the coaching staff from having to rush guys in when they aren't ready. It's pretty clear at this juncture that the staff knows how to develop and produce good big men, so allowing them to stick with what they know instead of throwing a guy into the fire could reap huge dividends for player development down the road as well.

He's a lot better than Greg

Hope that TT plays great for WF, but they appear to be very similar players to me, but giving the nod to Thompson as a slightly better offensive player (McClinton was at least an average defensive player).

McClinton and Thompson are two months apart in age (Thompson is two months older). McClinton is listed a 6-7 200; Thompson is 6-7 215. They were both HS class of 2013. McClinton was the #8 player in NC and #139 in the nation. TT (from Durham) was not ranked in any HS recruiting ranking that I could find. Neither are a threat to score from the outside. In 2016, both played similar minutes at their respective schools, and even though McClinton played significantly better competition in the ACC, their numbers were similar: McClinton: 37-68 from the field; Thompson: 38-78 from the field; McLinton shot 57% from the line; Thompson shot 54%; Thompson rebounded better than McClinton, but again, Thompson is rebounding against C-USA talent; McClinton ACC talent.

Marshall plays in the C-USA, which is now an awful basketball conference, dominated by MTSU (yes, MTSU) over the last two years. To give an idea of how bad the C-USA is now, the Summit League, Southern League, the Horizon League and the Ivy League are all higher rated conferences. Don't think it would be a stretch to have Greg McClinton put up similar numbers for Marshall than what Thompson has posted over the last two years. FWIW, thought that McClinton could play a role in this season's team, and I am confident that TT will play a role too.

Last edited:
Hope that TT plays great for WF, but they appear to be very similar players to me, but giving the nod to Thompson as a slightly better offensive player (McClinton was at least an average defensive player).

McClinton and Thompson are two months apart in age (Thompson is two months older). McClinton is listed a 6-7 200; Thompson is 6-7 215. They were both HS class of 2013. McClinton was the #8 player in NC and #139 in the nation. TT (from Durham) was not ranked in any HS recruiting ranking that I could find. Neither are a threat to score from the outside. In 2016, both played similar minutes at their respective schools, and even though McClinton played significantly better competition in the ACC, their numbers were similar: McClinton: 37-68 from the field; Thompson: 38-78 from the field; McLinton shot 57% from the line; Thompson shot 54%; Thompson rebounded better than McClinton, but again, Thompson is rebounding against C-USA talent; McClinton ACC talent.

Marshall plays in the C-USA, which is now an awful basketball conference, dominated by MTSU (yes, MTSU) over the last two years. To give an idea of how bad the C-USA is now, the Summit League, Southern League, the Horizon League and the Ivy League are all higher rated conferences. Don't think it would be a stretch to have Greg McClinton put up similar numbers for Marshall than what Thompson has posted over the last two years. FWIW, thought that McClinton could play a role in this season's team, and I am confident that TT will play a role too.

your point re: quality of competition is a good one; however, McClinton did not shoot 37-68 from the field against the ACC

the overwhelming majority of his playing time and shots came against teams like Richmond, UMBC, UNCG, Bucknell, etc; roughly equivalent to CUSA teams

your point re: quality of competition is a good one; however, McClinton did not shoot 37-68 from the field against the ACC

the overwhelming majority of his playing time and shots came against teams like Richmond, UMBC, UNCG, Bucknell, etc; roughly equivalent to CUSA teams

True, and those numbers were virtually identical to Thompson's against... CUSA type of teams.

True, and those numbers were virtually identical to Thompson's against... CUSA type of teams.

Thompson had double digit boards and/or points in every game he played 30+ minutes. That's production.

As far as difference in competition, we saw last year that Arians' percentages went up dramatically playing for Wake instead of UWM.

Last edited:

McClinton: 14.0% Min, 96.8 ORtg, 11.5% poss, 9.8% shots, 53.7% eFG, 51.1% TS, 0.9 ARate, 26.1 TORate, 0.6% Blk, 1.2% Stl, 7.3 FC/40, 1.8 FD/40, 18.5 FTrate, 1-5 FT, 13-26 2P, 1-1 3P

Thompson: 37.3% Min, 112.4 ORtg, 19.0% poss, 16.8% shots, 54.0% eFG, 57.1% TS, 4.3 ARate, 12.2 TORate, 1.3% Blk, 1.8% Stl, 3.9 FC/40, 5.7 FD/40, 72.8 FTRate, 62-99 FT, 63-112 2P, 7-24 3P

FC and FD are fouls committed/drawn, so there is a huge difference in how often Thompson gets to the line. He also turns the ball over about half as often

after watching our frontcourt get abused by older frontcourt players to end last season, I'm happy to get in a 23-year-old who knows how to rebound

Back