• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Terrific crowd at the Joel tonight!

1957 no on campus arena. (3-5 years later) 1960 and 1962 regular season champs. 1961 and 1962 ACC tourney championship. 1961 and 1962 elite 8. 1962 final four.

What long term consequences?

I don't have a dog in this fight but I think you just made DR's point better than he's made it. I'd cite successful years within the last half-century. But, that's just me.

Have the renovations to the Joel actually been announced aside from the deleted internet post by a contractor?

Last edited:
Have the renovations to the Joel actually been announced aside from the deleted internet post by a contractor?

No. Nor was the much discussion about them. Mit paid 5 million for a practice facility and we spent several million on a video board. And that pretty much entrenched that.

This was a major, major long term decision (multi, multi decades of impact) for our men's basketball team. It was made exclusively by an outgoing AD who doesn't have to live with the consequences.

We as a community should have had a discussion. The Deacon Club board should have been involved. Instead, it just got implemented. Like the [Redacted] debacle.

Changing the acoustics could be very expensive but should be included in any major renovation.

Investing in everyday use facilities aren’t a bad investment. Certainly has proven to be the case with football.

I disagree with Donald Ross that we NEED a smaller on-camous arena, but our attendence issues arent going away, and they are affecting everyone - even the eoite schools. Attendence at schools like UNC and Kentucky are down thousands and trending downward.

I agree that no more than 11K would be optimal. The number of seats is less important to me than the proximity to the court. Cassell Coliseum at VT holds about 9,500 but even in the nose-bleed seats in the corners, because of the pitch of the bowl, you don't feel disconnected from the action.

I agree that no more than 11K would be optimal. The number of seats is less important to me than the proximity to the court. Cassell Coliseum at VT holds about 9,500 but even in the nose-bleed seats in the corners, because of the pitch of the bowl, you don't feel disconnected from the action.

It can get pretty loud in that place

It can get pretty loud in that place

A good concert will have your ears ringing for a couple of days. Hokie fans, like Deacon fans, are somewhat fair weather fans so the home court advantage depends on the record of the team (and the name of the opponent to some extent).

Back