• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Terry Holland dead at 80

Holland was a great coach. Won the ACCT in 76 and made the Final Four in 81 and 84.

Sad news. Another icon from when basketball was the premier sport in the ACC is gone from among us.

Condolences to his friends and family.
RIP, Terry.

While Holland was still coaching at UVA my cousin married his youngest brother.

I met him at the reception and, as requested, I carried greetings from one of his former players.

He was very cordial and inquired about the player, although I was aware they had not always seen eye to eye.

He seemed like a pretty decent dude.

Last edited:
Condolences to the family. His daughter, Kate, was a classmate on mine at Wake in the early 90's.

Terry Holland had a dog: "a bitch named Dean Smith"

As stated in the linked article, when this became a controversy, Holland claimed the dog was named for a neighbor named Dean, but not sure anyone really believed that. Hilarious.

That's why the ACC dominated. ACC has hired poorly in recent years (starting with WF's hires after Skip's passsing).

He had reportedly had dementia in recent months, and his health was going downhill, so not unexpected news. But yes, he always seemed like a very decent dude and was easily UVA's best hoops coach pre-Tony. And yes, the ACC had quite the collection of coaches back in the 1980s.

Watched Terry play for Lefty Driesell while he was at Davidson. Believe one of his teammates was Fred Hetzel. Lefty had Davidson humming in those days and they often played Wake on an annual basis. Have lost many of the great players and coaches recently. I understand Lefty is still with us at 91, will be 92 on Christmas Day.

May he RIP. Definitely coached during the glory years when an ACCT ticket was as difficult as Sunday's Masters. Now, I see you can buy at the ticket window. Pitiful.

Holland was a good man from what I remember.

Watched Terry play for Lefty Driesell while he was at Davidson. Believe one of his teammates was Fred Hetzel. Lefty had Davidson humming in those days and they often played Wake on an annual basis. Have lost many of the great players and coaches recently. I understand Lefty is still with us at 91, will be 92 on Christmas Day.
I went to a number of his Davidson games (which most were actually played at the Charlotte Coliseum). As much as I've lived and died over the years with WFU basketball, noting will compare with Charlie Scott and UNC breaking of my juvenile heart in back-to-back years in the I think regional finals. That same Charlie Scott that Dean Smith had the "courage" to give a scholarship to, even though Lefty Driesell had already offered him and had a commitment, only to see Scott back out over an incident at a local restaurant. Didn't realize it at the time, but that restaurant owner was merely warming me up for being "Pitznogled"time and again throughout my Wake fandom.

While Holland was still coaching at UVA my cousin married his youngest brother.

I met him at the reception and, as requested, I carried greetings from one of his former players.

He was very cordial and inquired about the player, although I was aware they had not always seen eye to eye.

He seemed like a pretty decent dude.
Played bb at William & Mary IIRC.

Back