• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Texas: It's OK to shoot hookers if they won't have sex with you

craigjamesplatform.jpg

That reads like an Onion article. It's sad and sick that it's a real story. Texas is angry that Arizona and Florida have been getting acclaim as Most Fucked Up State.

I served on a jury a few years back. An undercover sheriff's deputy bought some drugs from an early 20's young man. The sheriff was sent in with money that had been photocopied previously (so the money had known serial numbers). The sheriff's deputy came out with a bag of marijuana and testified at trial that the defendant sold him drugs. A search warrant was executed which resulted in seizure of scales, baggies, and more marijuana. Also, money, with serial numbers matching those which had been photocopied prior to the sheriff's deputy going in, was seized from the defendant's person. Despite this evidence, 2 jurors would not vote to convict the defendant.

The point of this story is that sometimes juries do crazy shit. It's not as if Texas passed a law saying it's ok to shoot hookers.

I served on a jury a few years back. An undercover sheriff's deputy bought some drugs from an early 20's young man. The sheriff was sent in with money that had been photocopied previously (so the money had known serial numbers). The sheriff's deputy came out with a bag of marijuana and testified at trial that the defendant sold him drugs. A search warrant was executed which resulted in seizure of scales, baggies, and more marijuana. Also, money, with serial numbers matching those which had been photocopied prior to the sheriff's deputy going in, was seized from the defendant's person. Despite this evidence, 2 jurors would not vote to convict the defendant.

The point of this story is that sometimes juries do crazy shit. It's not as if Texas passed a law saying it's ok to shoot hookers.

Was the defendant a minority? Were the two jurors also minorities or female?

Based on this, the jury ruling was correct:

Texas law allows people "to use deadly force to recover property during a nighttime theft."

So while living in Texas if your wife takes the remote, you are allowed to shoot her.

Was the defendant a minority? Were the two jurors also minorities or female?

The defendant was white. The 2 holdout jurors were black females (though 2 other black jurors, both older males, were willing to convict). I sensed that the basis for the 2 holdout's decision was an inherent distrust of police officers

The defendant was white. The 2 holdout jurors were black females (though 2 other black jurors, both older males, were willing to convict). I sensed that the basis for the 2 holdout's decision was an inherent distrust of police officers

Jury nullification FTW -- that story is actually pretty amazing, wish it would happen more so cops would stop wasting money on "criminal" 20 something weed dealers. What a joke.

I recently served on a jury (and was selected foreman) and had an issue with 2 white females who didn't want to convict an African American male.

Seems women are a PITA on juries... ;)

I think the BBD cockmongerness has run its course. It was fun and BBD was a good spirit about it but we're out of good tags and let's let this beauty die gracefully.

Back