• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Text Message Scams

myDeaconmyhand

First man to get a team of horses up Bear Mountain
Reaction score
I think in the past few months the text message phishing scams that I have received are becoming very aggressive and convincing: This shit is getting very crazy. It used to be pretty obvious email phishing scams that would target older people less familiar with data harvesting tactics, but the ones I’ve received lately perfectly mimic service notifications and business auto-reply messages
2d3cd75646fea49307f0823a609ba78a.jpg

Of course I know what’s going on with my own account, but this particular message makes me think someone is trying to open service with my identity

i used to get daily spam calls -- used some t-mobile #number and that stopped most of them

now a few times a week I get spam texts like this immitating utilities and companies, but more often it's more casual/personal like "hey seth, long time no see" or "how have you been, denise?"

they come as both text messages and whatsapp messages

I had one text recently that was convincing enough I was about to click the link until I noticed a subtle grammar error. The timing worked in its favor because it was from big bank you all know which one who I do have a credit card with and I had an actual hack attempt on it a few weeks ago that caused the bank to reissue me a new one so it seemed plausible that I was having another problem. I wasn't.

For a month or so I'd get daily texts saying something like "Thanks for paying your AT&T bill early. Click for a free gift from us!"

I like the ones where it’s a group text scam message, low energy and effort there.

I also have started getting them saying I could get paid for wrapping my car in so and so energy drink’s logo. Have gotten Monster, Red Bull and one or two others.

I also have started getting them saying I could get paid for wrapping my car in so and so energy drink’s logo. Have gotten Monster, Red Bull and one or two others.
Ballpark how much you'd take for this.

Help your bros out. I'm sure many here could use a side hustle !

Ballpark how much you'd take for this.
See ! Mako needs MOAR jobs providing gainful employment ! ! #PassiveIncome #MakeMoneyWorkingFromHome...WellActuallyDrivingAround

Tag: DoesRedBullGiveRedWings?

Teacher/athletic Director/coach/groundskeeper/custodian/farmer/energy drink salesman

Well that just makes sense if you’re already going to be driving around.

I would rather have a new car so if they can fully pay for it I might be in. I’d take a Red Bull Telluride.

I had one text recently that was convincing enough I was about to click the link until I noticed a subtle grammar error. The timing worked in its favor because it was from big bank you all know which one who I do have a credit card with and I had an actual hack attempt on it a few weeks ago that caused the bank to reissue me a new one so it seemed plausible that I was having another problem. I wasn't.

Got one yesterday that said my Chili’s Curbside Pickup Order was ready, so again my kneejerk feeling is stolen identity, but the chilis hyperlink was parsed just strangely enough to make me question it, so I googled the phone number and got no Chilis results

Got one yesterday that said my Chili’s Curbside Pickup Order was ready, so again my kneejerk feeling is stolen identity, but the chilis hyperlink was parsed just strangely enough to make me question it, so I googled the phone number and got no Chilis results
well was your order ready though

The most common unsolicited texts I've seen are offers to buy my house NOW with cash.

The most common unsolicited text I've seen are offers to buy my house NOW with cash.
I get these a lot. It used to be daily but it's slowed down. I used to also get unsolicited texts saying that they've used an aerial drone to survey my roof and I need massive repairs. And all of this started immediately after I had my roof fixed. I think the most common one I get is a text from Chase or Citi about either an overdue balance or fraudulent use of the card. I don't have, and have never had, either a Chase or Citi card or account. I also get a lot of calls and messages about my outstanding student loans. I paid my loans off in 2014.

Utility scams are rampant too. In my experience it tends to mostly against the elderly and it's super sad when they get taken. I know my former company's utilities would all put out multiple releases a year warning people against these scams, but they're still successful on a frighteningly common basis. How someone can think that any reputable company would have you go to your local CVS or grocery store and buy $1000 worth of prepaid credit cards in order to pay off your account is mind-boggling, but ¯\(ツ)

My brother’s best friend from college got scammed for Best Buy gift cards to pay off IRS debt.

Back