• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Thank you Danny

deacdixieboy

Reaction score
For all of you on the ledge, I get it. I'm pissed about tonight too. However we had a reason to care about an NCAAT game for the first time in 7 years. Jackass inherited a winning program and shat it down the bed. Danny took over a dumpster fire and got us into the tourney in the hardest conference in history with basically 2 recruiting class bc the first was late and pieced together. He obviously still has room to improve in a number of areas but Danny and Wake are a great fit that I hope lasts a long time with continued improvement and success.

Agreed! it takes time to rebuild. Getting us back to the dance after 6 years of freakin' irrelevance is what we've been waiting for. It took DM 3 years. Thank you coach!
You appear to be doing things the right way. Let's get that defensive intensity going that you learned from Bill Self -- and players who buy into it -- and we'll be just fine.

Danny puts us in the field of 64 in year 4 or 5, I'm fine with him. He doesn't and it's time to move on.

It's going to come down to recruiting with Manning. If this year's class looks good and he draws in a good class next year, he will be given more slack.

Has to do better than the 2016 recruiting class. We got nothing from 75% of a four man class. And coach some defense.

19 wins and bubble team. Exceeded all fan expectations at start of season.

Agreed! it takes time to rebuild. Getting us back to the dance after 6 years of freakin' irrelevance is what we've been waiting for. It took DM 3 years. Thank you coach!
You appear to be doing things the right way. Let's get that defensive intensity going that you learned from Bill Self -- and players who buy into it -- and we'll be just fine.

Bullshit. Good coaches flip teams after 2-3 years into winners all the time. We are still so scarred from Buzz that what would have been a meh season in the past is now a reason to be optimistic. We lose our best player next year and recruiting isn't where it needs to be for us to be a consistent tourney team as of right now.

Some of you are insane. You said "Manning isn't crap unless he gets us road wins", done. You say "Manning isn't crap unless he gets us to the NCAA in year three", done. You sat "Manning isn't crap unless he brings in top 50 talent", done.

Get your head out of your ass and enjoy the resurgence of WFU basketball.

Bullshit. Good coaches flip teams after 2-3 years into winners all the time. We are still so scarred from Buzz that what would have been a meh season in the past is now a reason to be optimistic. We lose our best player next year and recruiting isn't where it needs to be for us to be a consistent tourney team as of right now.

Agree. This season was fine. Lost before the main tournament starts but a lot of positives. Problem is that I am not sure the ship is heading in the right direction. Wake had a top 10 offense and that is a credit to Manning. Had the defense been just bad, Wake is still playing. Collins will likely leave and we will have a decent to good offense, but how is that going to work with a 4th year of poor to awful defense.

Manning came here with a lot to learn. He appears to have improved quite a bit as a coach. He now needs to learn how to coach defense or hire someone who already knows or his tenure is going nowhere.

I heard Childress interviewed recently. He responded to a question about defense with "defense is about effort". That may not be totally incorrect but Wake needs more than "try harder". Somebody needs to find a way to teach a defensive system that works.

Agree. This season was fine. Lost before the main tournament starts but a lot of positives. Problem is that I am not sure the ship is heading in the right direction. Wake had a top 10 offense and that is a credit to Manning. Had the defense been just bad, Wake is still playing. Collins will likely leave and we will have a decent to good offense, but how is that going to work with a 4th year of poor to awful defense.

Manning came here with a lot to learn. He appears to have improved quite a bit as a coach. He now needs to learn how to coach defense or hire someone who already knows or his tenure is going nowhere.

I heard Childress interviewed recently. He responded to a question about defense with "defense is about effort". That may not be totally incorrect but Wake needs more than "try harder". Somebody needs to find a way to teach a defensive system that works.

agree on the defense, Danny made the tourney the first year that he had all his own players, a reasonable accomplishment after the Buzz disaster and better than we have hoped before the season started, he also seems to have developed a top player in just two years in JC

To me it comes down to defense. I think Manning can recruit, I think he can obviously coach offense, I think he can develop players, but it remains to be seen whether he can get his teams to play defense well enough to compete for anything significant.

I think it's been brought up before, but consult with Dave Odom. Odom's teams normally played good solid half-court defense. I can remember we'd have long streaks of holding teams to under 50 percent and teams would average about 40 percent shooting against us. Now, when Odom didn't have guys like Rodgers, Childress and Duncan, we might have trouble scoring the ball, but we almost always played good defense.

Last edited:
To me it comes down to defense. I think Manning can recruit, I think he can obviously coach offense, I think he can develop players, but it remains to be seen whether he can get his teams to play defense well enough to compete for anything significant.

I think it's been brought up before, but consult with Dave Odom. Odom's teams normally played good solid half-court defense. I can remember we'd have long streaks of holding teams to under 50 percent and teams would average about 40 percent shooting against us. Now, when Odom didn't have guys like Rodgers, Childress and Duncan, we might have trouble scoring the ball, but we almost always played good defense.

The NCAA rule changes since Odom ball make comparing the two eras impossible. 30 second clock. You can't put your hands on people for two. It's a whole different game.

The NCAA rule changes since Odom ball make comparing the two eras impossible. 30 second clock. You can't put your hands on people for two. It's a whole different game.

Fair point, but teaching good defensive fundamentals never goes out of style though. Our problems have nothing to do with the shot clock or the freedom of motion rules, it's being consistently out of position.

i agree that defense really needs to be addressed. having said that, Manning has exceeded my expectations this season in his development of JC (and some others), going 9-9 in the very tough ACC this season and getting us to the NCAAs.

i am looking forward to see what he will do in the future and what he has accomplished so far i have given him another 3 years before i will fall off the wagon.

Thanks Coach.

The offense is great and I give you all the credit. Some have already forgotten Wake couldn't even shoot free throws. You and the players have worked and mastered shooting.

I expect you will have Wake in the NCAAT next year.

we are definitely on the right track. I'm excited about WFU hoops again, thats for sure.

Every time I get pissed about the blown opportunity last night, I remember what it felt like just a few short years ago. We have deficiencies, but they can be addressed. We finally have a head coach for whom kids want to play. Programs don't change overnight, and I think we all agree that we made the tourney a year earlier than anyone imagined. JC is a big question mark, but we have a couple of excellent athletes coming in next year and I'm guessing we'll have greater appeal now to a grad transfer who sees how close we are.

Thanks, coach.

Every time I get pissed about the blown opportunity last night, I remember what it felt like just a few short years ago. We have deficiencies, but they can be addressed. We finally have a head coach for whom kids want to play. Programs don't change overnight, and I think we all agree that we made the tourney a year earlier than anyone imagined. JC is a big question mark, but we have a couple of excellent athletes coming in next year and I'm guessing we'll have greater appeal now to a grad transfer who sees how close we are.

Thanks, coach.

Beautiful hottake, siff!

Defense. You have to play defense. We either choose not to defend, don't have the players or don't know how to coach it. Perhaps all three.

Back