• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Thanks Obama: US Banks Report Record Profits in Q3

I'm calling out Obama, and in turn Hillary, for not doing shit about financialization, and the supposed defenders of the working class who now support Donald Trump and laud his election as some stroke of genius in messaging - are applauding banks pulling in exorbitant profits while the Wisconsinites are struggling. this makes no sense. They argue both sides with no mooring whatsoever.

TITCR.

knowell and others, you're entitled to a politics of your choosing, but don't be surprised when folks find it incoherent given the massive contradictions between your self-reported ideology and the substance of your actual posts.

TITCR.

knowell and others, you're entitled to a politics of your choosing, but don't be surprised when folks find it incoherent given the massive contradictions between your self-reported ideology and the substance of your actual posts.

Fine, but Libertarians are orphans in this country. I have ideals but does that mean I should not applaud steps in the right direction when I see them. If I wait until a Libertarian is elected to post something positive, I will be against virtually every law and politician in this country. I think Trump tends toward Libertarian in some areas of economics and possibly in foreign policy. I saw no areas where Hillary leaned Libertarian. Should I not prefer the candidate that I agree with occasionally over the candidate with whom I will never have any common ground?

Fine, but Libertarians are orphans in this country. I have ideals but does that mean I should not applaud steps in the right direction when I see them. If I wait until a Libertarian is elected to post something positive, I will be against virtually every law and politician in this country. I think Trump tends toward Libertarian in some areas of economics and possibly in foreign policy. I saw no areas where Hillary leaned Libertarian. Should I not prefer the candidate that I agree with occasionally over the candidate with whom I will never have any common ground?

So you prefer the candidate bullying private industry through twitter?

I just don't see much libertarianism in Trump's election platform, in his rhetoric, or in his transition team. I'd be open to hearing your thoughts on this, but he seems to be a lot closer to Clinton/Bush than he does to a libertarian.

I just don't see much libertarianism in Trump's election platform, in his rhetoric, or in his transition team. I'd be open to hearing your thoughts on this, but he seems to be a lot closer to Clinton/Bush than he does to a libertarian.

I agree that it is a mixed bag with Trump. I like getting rid of obamacare. I like reducing regulations. I like reducing taxes. I like repatriating dollars from overseas at a low tax rate. I like the possibility that Trump will not be a neocon and try regime change in the middle east. Again some of this is uncertain with Trump and may or may not happen.

Not a fan of trade wars, but I think Trump will likely avoid these, but maybe not. Not a fan of sending any non-criminal Mexicans back to Mexico. I do want actual border control but not necessarily a wall. I am fine with reducing immigration from countries that do not have a handle on their radical Islamist problem.

So, mixed bag.

I think Hillary would have been a neocon, would have kept obamacare unchanged, and raised taxes. Nothing to like there from my perspective.

I think it's really cute that knowell thinks himself a libertarian. They are like GOP hipsters just raging against labels.

That's the best description I've heard of pseudo-libertarians.

I think it's really cute that knowell thinks himself a libertarian. They are like GOP hipsters just raging against labels.

I think it's real cute that you just can't get over your girl losing. Gonna be a long 8 years for ya.

I agree that it is a mixed bag with Trump. I like getting rid of obamacare. I like reducing regulations. I like reducing taxes. I like repatriating dollars from overseas at a low tax rate. I like the possibility that Trump will not be a neocon and try regime change in the middle east. Again some of this is uncertain with Trump and may or may not happen.

Not a fan of trade wars, but I think Trump will likely avoid these, but maybe not. Not a fan of sending any non-criminal Mexicans back to Mexico. I do want actual border control but not necessarily a wall. I am fine with reducing immigration from countries that do not have a handle on their radical Islamist problem.

So, mixed bag.

I think Hillary would have been a neocon, would have kept obamacare unchanged, and raised taxes. Nothing to like there from my perspective.

Thanks for following up, knowell.

I agree with you about Clinton's economic and foreign policy (regardless of what some say on here to the contrary she is a foreign policy neoconservative and an economic policy neoliberal), but her stances on immigration, social policy, drug war-related policy, and mass incarceration would've been a lot closer to the libertarian position. Trump is going to likely lean far right in each of these areas in ways that I hope we can agree are not libertarian in principle.

Last edited:

I agree with you about Clinton's economic and foreign policy (regardless of what some say on here to contrary she is a foreign policy neoconservative and an economic policy neoliberal), but her stances on immigration, social policy, drug war-related policy, and mass incarceration would've been a lot closer to the libertarian position. Trump is going to likely lean far right in each of these areas in ways that I hope we can agree are not libertarian in principle.

You may be right on those. To be honest, I am not sure that there would be a great difference between the two on most of those issues (minus immigration). It is hard to tell since Trump was not overly forthcoming. His worst position is likely to be mass incarceration as it appears that Hillary has changed on this from the 90's and Trump still gets a hard on for "law and order". I kind of get the feeling that Trump will go with the prevailing winds on drugs but I am not sure. I do not think Hillary would have been particularly forward thinking on the war on drugs either.

Hopefully we can continue the incremental positive changes on social issues. I think these will win out long term as older voters buy more real estate in cemeteries.

I fail to see how adding regulations to banks making it more difficult to lend to home buyers or entrepreneurs will help the blue collar workers in Wisconsin.

According to AOCS chart, banks were bringing in about 9% return on investment. What would be a more appropriate number?

I don't know, how about 4%? Something, anything, to stem the tide.

This is revealing:

Banking in the United States is regulated by both the federal and state governments. The five largest banks in the United States at December 31, 2011 were JPMorgan Chase, Bank of America, Citigroup, Wells Fargo, and Goldman Sachs.[1] In December 2011, the five largest banks' assets were equal to 56 percent of the U.S. economy, compared with 43 percent five years earlier.

The U.S. finance industry comprised only 10% of total non-farm business profits in 1947, but it grew to 50% by 2010. Over the same period, finance industry income as a proportion of GDP rose from 2.5% to 7.5%, and the finance industry's proportion of all corporate income rose from 10% to 20%. The mean earnings per employee hour in finance relative to all other sectors has closely mirrored the share of total U.S. income earned by the top 1% income earners since 1930. The mean salary in New York City's finance industry rose from $80,000 in 1981 to $360,000 in 2011, while average New York City salaries rose from $40,000 to $70,000. In 1988, there were about 12,500 U.S. banks with less than $300 million in deposits, and about 900 with more deposits, but by 2012, there were only 4,200 banks with less than $300 million in deposits in the U.S., and over 1,800 with more. American banking is closely linked to the UK; in 2014, the biggest US banks held almost 70 percent of their on and off-balance sheet foreign assets there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banking_in_the_United_States

I'm no economist. I hold no advanced degree. But I smell a rat.

All industries should have profit driven goals.

Where Obama failed is in stopping the next crisis from happening the exact same way as the previous one.

OK. But if you believe the above report the quality of the underlying assets is solid. The largest issue in the last crisis was the shit assets (and borrowers) that rested behind the debts. If that is a problem again, then yes, this would be an issue. Is that your concern or is it something else?

I agree with you about Clinton's economic and foreign policy (regardless of what some say on here to the contrary she is a foreign policy neoconservative and an economic policy neoliberal), but her stances on immigration, social policy, drug war-related policy, and mass incarceration would've been a lot closer to the libertarian position. Trump is going to likely lean far right in each of these areas in ways that I hope we can agree are not libertarian in principle.

She is not a neoconservative on foreign policy. No matter how many times you say this, it will never be true.

The biggest problem with the way the financial industry profits is that they don't make anything other than money. At some point you have to make something. When this crashes it's going to be ugly. The worst thing that happened was Bill Clinton allowing Glass-Steagle be repealed.

Last edited:
OK. But if you believe the above report the quality of the underlying assets is solid. The largest issue in the last crisis was the shit assets (and borrowers) that rested behind the debts. If that is a problem again, then yes, this would be an issue. Is that your concern or is it something else?

Doesn't strike me that mortgages will be the issue this time. But banks are already selling bad debt from student loans and credit cards and repackaging it the same way they did with bad mortgages. Which in and of itself isnt necessarily dangerous. It's that the rating agencies have proven themselves untrustworthy, the banks are more or less regulating themselves again, and we're gonna have Wall Street guys pulling the strings of the economy for the next four years. Why would an industry too big to fail be afraid of failing?

Doesn't strike me that mortgages will be the issue this time. But banks are already selling bad debt from student loans and credit cards and repackaging it the same way they did with bad mortgages. Which in and of itself isnt necessarily dangerous. It's that the rating agencies have proven themselves untrustworthy, the banks are more or less regulating themselves again, and we're gonna have Wall Street guys pulling the strings of the economy for the next four years. Why would an industry too big to fail be afraid of failing?

Agreed we could have a massive contagion with student debt, although that repackaging is nothing new. I don't disagree with anything you've said.

I would note, however, that what people are reacting to is this latest report - which if you believe the FDIC has nothing in it that signals a reason for immediate alarm. Being profitable isn't a sin. It's being profitable in a reckless manner that is a problem Perhaps we are facing a problem via student debt, shitty mortgages, etc. But this report doesn't point to it in and of itself.

Good post, DeacMan.

Ah yes, everything is cool. My bad

That wealth and jobs will trickle to rust belt bootstrappers cause, it just will. its cool

Last edited:
I think it's real cute that you just can't get over your girl losing. Gonna be a long 8 years for ya.

You're definitely right. My party lost bigly. Yours won bigly. You have every right to celebrate the successes of your Republican Party.

Back