• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The 2012 Official MLB Baseball Thread (Mother's basement edition)

In that case, they need to take on salary.

Yeah, Phillies need to lose salary(I believe to get under luxury tax), and Orioles would rather pay money than give up prospects.

Just checked. Phillies giving O's Blanton gets them under luxury tax, which is a big deal as they will be over it next year, and penalties escalate for repeat offenders. 20% for first year offenders, 30% for second year. Phillies got under last year, so if they want to avoid 30%, they'll give away Blanton.

Last edited:
Why would the Phils pay luxury tax when they won't have him next year either way.

I know this interests noone, but there's a stunning, gritty battle of bullpen ineptitude happening between the Astros-Brewers right now.

Funny thing is these are my favorite games to watch. I just like knowing we have a chance.

The Rangers have acquired catcher Geovany Soto from the Cubs for pitcher Jacob Brigham. Soto is hitting .195 for the Cubs and is making $4.2 million. Brigham is 5-5 with a 4.28 ERA in 21 starts at Double A Frisco.

Well, looks like the Braves are getting a cubs pitcher. Maholm and Johnson to the braves

Hmmm. I like Johnson as a bench bat. Don't know how I feel about Maholm.

Are the braves done trading now?

Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan
If Dempster and Soriano go, too, I'm going to begin to think Jeff Luhnow is actually running the Cubs.

lolz

The Rangers have acquired catcher Geovany Soto from the Cubs for pitcher Jacob Brigham. Soto is hitting .195 for the Cubs and is making $4.2 million. Brigham is 5-5 with a 4.28 ERA in 21 starts at Double A Frisco.

Baseball America is pretty low on Brigham - BP seems to think he is still serviceable - 24 year old pitcher with 6 years in the minors? I will believe it when I see it. Not that it matters, we needed soto off the books for next year anyway.

Pretty sure Vizcaino was a guy the Astros wanted for Bourn last year, but instead we got a pile of shit. Thanks Ed Wade.

This is so, so #Astros

crawfishboxes ‏@crawfishboxes
Chris Johnson just hit a grand slam for the Diamondbacks.

Yep. Saw Ken's tweet. Holy crap what a deal for the Cubs.

I'm legit pissed off. Send them Johnson & Maholm back. He was an untouchable last year. You've gotta get a better haul for that package. So mad.

Well he probably won't pitch in the Majors next year either. He has a big ceiling but I don't think the Braves believe in him as a starter.

I'm interested to see if the Cubs are throwing in money.

Last year he was an untouchable. If you trade somebody who is still an untouchable, you have gotta get a better package than Johnson & Maholm.

Well he had TJ surgery. But it is funny to strike two deals in a week for Dempster and Maholm for previous "untouchables". I like this trade more for the Braves than the Dempster/Delgado swap.

Thinking no money from the Cubs - since Paul is only making $4.5 and has a team option for next year at $6.5, which is a steal if he has a similar year next year. Johnson isn't making anything.

Thinking no money from the Cubs - since Paul is only making $4.5 and has a team option for next year at $6.5, which is a steal if he has a similar year next year. Johnson isn't making anything.

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal
#Cubs include cash in four-player trade with #Braves. Remember: They are willing to include cash in every deal to get better players.

Back