• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The 2016 Panthers Thread: Keep Pounding

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's well known that if we don't get to the QB with our front 7 in a hurry, then we're going to be in trouble. Makes losing Hardy hurt that much more.

So if we spend a 2nd round pick on a DE again are people going to rage?

Nah. We know to expect it. GMan highly prioritizes DL.

I could see us spending the 2nd round pick on every position outside of QB and OG tbh.

I expect it but if he takes a borderline 2nd round DL over a WR, CB or OT I rate highly then I'll be pissed. I understood the Ealy pick because he was a 1st round talent and there wasn't much there at other spots and I understand his ideology but I have some limits.

I think it's well known that if we don't get to the QB with our front 7 in a hurry, then we're going to be in trouble. Makes losing Hardy hurt that much more.

Are we really though? Didn't Bene & Norman grade out as top CBs last season?

this will be charles johnson's last year as a panther too, so we do need another DE in the works. i'd consider it as big as need as anything outside of OT and WR.

For reals? I thought he had a few more years left.

For reals? I thought he had a few more years left.

pretty sure he's a dwill type cut next year. jstew too. that article i posted from overthecap earlier seemed to think so. panthers will have an obscene amount of cap space next year, altho a lot of it will be needed for cam and luke.

You'd think more mock drafts would mention that. It's huge.

CJ is easily cut after this year with a ton of cap savings($10M I believe) so if he doesn't have a great year this could very well be his last year as a Panther. My hope is that it would get leveraged into a reasonable extension but we will see.

Doubtful all these dudes doing mock drafts look a year ahead for 32 teams. Hard enough to keep up with all the prospects and 32 team needs for just this upcoming year.

Here's exactly what OTC said:

The Panthers only have 19 players under contract in 2016, the fewest in the NFL. You can probably jettison Johnson and Johnathan Stewart off that team as well as kicker Graham Gano. They will pick some players back up- Luke Kuechly will have his option exercised, Newton, Davis, and Olsen should all be extended- but still we are talking about a very limited roster beyond this season compared to a majority of the NFL.

They should have huge amounts of cap space in 2016 as a quick run through of some projected cuts and placeholder cap charges should leave them with over $60 million in cap room if no big free agents are brought in and the cap continues to rise at a $10M a year pace. That is the season where they should be considering spending, not so much this one.

Not very forceful but he'll be at the point where we save more money cutting him than keeping him. And he'll be old. Same with JStew.

If that's the case I wouldnt be surprised at all if Panthers go With a DE somewhere early. Have to get pressure with the front for the D to be what it's been

Yeah. Now I'm thinking DE in the 1st and a late round pick is possible.

Yeah. Now I'm thinking DE in the 1st and a late round pick is possible.

I feel like this isn't the year to reach for a DE. When Shane Ray and Randy Gregory are the cream of the crop, it's probably best to wait until the later rounds. Especially when you look at the caliber of WR's and OT's that could potentially be around at 25.

Pretty much the only guy I've seen us mock drafting from any source that I wouldn't be happy with would be Ereck Flowers. I'm just not on board.

Seems like another good WR draft, a good RB draft, an average OT draft and a bad DE draft if I've been keeping up. That applies to the top half of the draft,.

We were fine without Hardy the final 6-7 games of the season. 13 million with the risk of a time bomb and further suspensions alone made not signing him worth it. People are to quick to forget what this defense did the final 6 weeks of the season. Hardy was good, but the defense moved on. Fans, Media, NFL analyst should too. Cats are fine without him.

I don't think anyone is saying we should have kept Hardy, but it's dumb to think we don't/won't miss that production.

That is a good article in light of an NFL Network show on the 1964 Draft (11 HOFers in that draft, more than any other by far). That year, the Cowboys wanted Mel Renfro but were unsure about his recovery from knee surgery. So when it was their pick, they called a local doctor to drive to him and check him out. They eventually drafted him, but their pick took 6 hrs.

Separate story from that show: Tex Schramm was at CBS in 1960 when they aired the Olympics. He was impressed with the use of computers in the Olympics and brought that to the Cowboys. Up until that time, players' speed, quickness, explosiveness, etc was merely described in a scout's comments, "quick as a cat." Tex began the process of using numbers to gauge a football player's athleticism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back