• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The 2016 Panthers Thread: Keep Pounding

Status
Not open for further replies.
4. Panthers at Falcons, Sunday, 1:00, O/U 47.5: The Panthers are going to play hard for history. But their schedule is the third softest in football according to Pro-Football-Reference and while winning is impressive no matter what, the idea that this is an all-time team is total nonsense. They won’t even be favored if they get the Seahawks in their first postseason game. I got a lot of heat last week for writing that Cam Newton ($35) has been a relatively ineffective runner but you all have to recognize how to separate the descriptive like that piece from the predictive like this one.

Huh?!?!?!?!

The 2015 Panthers: 14-0. NFC South Champions.

I'm over being offended by the shit bloggers say. Everything has to be a #hottake - just win

The Panthers definitely should have scheduled tougher in the non-conference. Can't play a bunch of cupcakes like NCSU or UNC and expect to have the voters respect your body of work at playoff time.

4. Panthers at Falcons, Sunday, 1:00, O/U 47.5...I got a lot of heat last week for writing that Cam Newton ($35) has been a relatively ineffective runner...

Hey Einstein, that's probably because he's the top rushing QB in the league...

Where was that quote pulled from?

Last edited:
I think I saw a terribad NYT article that compared CAM's ypc to other running QBs, and he had the lowest ypc by a fair margin.

Yeah, most running qbs don't put a shoulder down and run over the middle. It's why stats alone don't accurately tell the story of what he does, and why the whole QBR thing was so annoying.

I'm looking forward to the "worst 19-0 team ever" columns.

Yeah, most running qbs don't put a shoulder down and run over the middle. It's why stats alone don't accurately tell the story of what he does, and why the whole QBR thing was so annoying.

Geno Smith is obviously the better running QB since he's averaging 17ypc. Obviously.

Like you said, most QB's only run on broken plays, so their YPC is meaningless. Cam is regularly called upon to pick up 1-2 yards over the center and has running plays called for him. As expected, his YPC is more in-line with that of a RB. Of the 41 RB's ahead of him in total rushing yards, only 7 have a higher YPC. Of the top 10 RB's in the league by yards, only 3 have a higher YPC (5.1, 5.1, 5.3).

The next QB behind Cam in rushing yards is Tyrod Taylor. He averages 5.6 YPC, but he's carried the call 39 less times (33% less carries than Cam) and has 130 less yards.

And then there's touchdowns. Cam has 7. Next closest QB is Tyrod at 3.

Last edited:
Anyone remember who the pats played other than the AFC East and the Giants on their run to 16-0? I sure as hell don't.

Geno Smith is obviously the better running QB since he's averaging 17ypc. Obviously.

Like you said, most QB's only run on broken plays, so their YPC is meaningless. Cam is regularly called upon to pick up 1-2 yards over the center and has running plays called for him. As expected, his YPC is more in-line with that of a RB. Of the 41 RB's ahead of him in total rushing yards, only 7 have a higher YPC. Of the top 10 RB's in the league by yards, only 3 have a higher YPC (5.1, 5.1, 5.3).

The next QB behind Cam in rushing yards is Tyrod Taylor. He averages 5.6 YPC, but he's carried the call 39 less times (33% less carries than Cam) and has 130 less yards.

And then there's touchdowns. Cam has 7. Next closest QB is Tyrod at 3.

Numbers are a little off....per ESPN, Russell Wilson is the #2 QB in rushing yards at 502 and 5.5ypc.

T2 for QB rushing TD's are Jameis Winston/Kirk Cousins at 5.

That Cam ineffective runner article was one of the worst pieces of shit ever to be written. He compared Cam to other QBs post-merger that have 100 rushing attempts in a season, and then compared that sample size by YPC and determined that since Cam's 2015 season was at the bottom of that list he was an ineffective runner.

I mean the insanity with that method feels like trolling. In 50 years of post-merger football, Cam is one of 10 QBs to rush for 100 attempts in a season. The other QBs on the list include guys like Kaepernick, RW, Vick, Cunningham, Tebow... all excellent running QBs right? So Cam is bad at running not compared to all QBs over the past 50 years, but to these other 9 QBs, maybe?

Except the insanity doesn't end there. His entire analysis starts and ends at YPC. Cam is largely the 1st power running goal-line/short yardage QB. Of his 100ish rushing attempts this season so far, 44 are for a TD or a 1st down, by far the most in the NFL. The next best is RW with 29 TD + 1st downs. I mean Cam at 26 years old is already 2nd all time post-merger history in rushing TDs. But RW does average 0.6 more YPC this season tho.

So if you use a sample size of the 10 best rushing QBs in the last 50 years of the NFL, and if you only look at one not completely descriptive stat and ignore TDs completely, yes Cam is an ineffective runner.

Oh, and BTW no fucking way are the Seahawks favored in Charlotte. Panthers -2/2.5 right now according to Vegas power rankings.

Last edited:
Yards per carry is a flawed measure anyway.

Anyone remember who the pats played other than the AFC East and the Giants on their run to 16-0? I sure as hell don't.

Same cross-divisional teams in the same locations they play this year (just remember that because we're two cycles away from 2007).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back