• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The 2016 Panthers Thread: Keep Pounding

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I guess ESPN is going to interview Schofield again in 2 weeks when he's sitting at home, just to get an update on his Superbowl ring? Yeah, probably not.

As a GB fan, it might be beneficial for them to lose to Minn. this weekend. I think the Packers probably lose in the first round regardless, but (sorry Panthers fans), if they somehow make it past the first round, I'd rather them plan Carolina than AZ.

As a GB fan, it might be beneficial for them to lose to Minn. this weekend. I think the Packers probably lose in the first round regardless, but (sorry Panthers fans), if they somehow make it past the first round, I'd rather them plan Carolina than AZ.

It's ok. We'd rather play GB than Arizona too.

Both franchises define mediocrity. Since Carolina has been in the league, both the Falcons and Panthers have never had three winning seasons in a row, have missed the playoffs way more often than they've made them, and got to one SB which they lost. Mediocre franchises.

Atlanta had 5 consecutive winning seasons from 2008-2012. Longest playoff drought since 1990 has been 3 years, though it should be noted, this has been matched several times, including the current stretch of 2013-2015.

So if GB loses this weekend, seems to me that GB then plays at Washington and Seattle plays at Minnesota. I'd expect Seattle to beat up on Minnesota just like they did a few weeks ago, so then assuming the Panthers can take care of Tampa, Seattle would come to Carolina and GB would have to play Arizona anyway if they beat the Skins

So these are the scenarios as I ran them through the playoff generator (I think they're right - double-checked them all; first game listed is 6 seed at 3 seed):

Green Bay beats Minnesota, Seattle beats Arizona: Minnesota @ Green Bay; Seattle @ Washington (22%)
Green Bay beats Minnesota, Arizona beats Seattle: Seattle @ Green Bay; Minnesota @ Washington (46%)
Minnesota beats Green Bay, Seattle beats Arizona: Seattle @ Minnesota; Green Bay @ Washington (10%)
Minnesota beats Green Bay, Arizona beats Seattle: Seattle @ Minnesota; Green Bay @ Washington (22%)

If Minnesota beats Green Bay, it doesn't matter what happens in Arizona-Seattle for wildcard round (but could matter if Panthers lose to Tampa, if Panthers beat Tampa then Arizona-Seattle doesn't matter).

TLDR:

Minnesota beats Green Bay: Seattle @ Minnesota; Green Bay @ Washington
Green Bay beats Minnesota, Seattle beats Arizona: Minnesota @ Green Bay; Seattle @ Washington
Green Bay beats Minnesota, Arizona beats Seattle: Seattle @ Green Bay; Minnesota @ Washington

Washington has clinched the four seed

ETA: Odds, based on ELO (not perfect but pretty good) ratings, of each above occurrence. Arizona and Green Bay are both 68% to win this weekend.

Last edited:
So if GB loses this weekend, seems to me that GB then plays at Washington and Seattle plays at Minnesota. I'd expect Seattle to beat up on Minnesota just like they did a few weeks ago, so then assuming the Panthers can take care of Tampa, Seattle would come to Carolina and GB would have to play Arizona anyway if they beat the Skins

You're right, I think -- if Seattle beats Minn. In that case, Carolina would play the lowest seed left, which would be Seattle. If Minn wins, then Carolina would play GB, the 5 seed.

Seattle going to Minn after just beating them badly in Minnesota has trap game written all over it.

Plus, Seattle just lost to the Rams at home.

Last night was the first time I'd seen the Vikings play other than against the Seahawks and to be honest I don't think they're really all that good. AP is definitely a beast and Bridgewater is a decent game manager, but I'm not too concerned if we get the Vikings or Redskins in the playoffs at all.

I've always liked Bill Simmons' idea that the highest seed gets to pick their opponent for the divisional round.

It's still ridiculous that Washington gets a home game. Fine with letting the division winner in, but they should seed based on record/tiebreakers. Wash should be the 6 seed.

It's still ridiculous that Washington gets a home game. Fine with letting the division winner in, but they should seed based on record/tiebreakers. Wash should be the 6 seed.

Agreed. The argument I always hear is "you should be rewarded for winning your division" but you are: you make the playoffs. Get in if you win your division, then seed based on record.

What determines whether we play on Saturday or Sunday in the divisional round?

Now that we've lost I think we're much less attractive. The best matchup usually is Saturday night, but now that Pittsburgh is outside looking in I don't know who I think will play then. Before I thought it would be Pats-Steelers or maybe Panthers-Seahawks if either of those match ups happen.

Vikings
Redskins
Seahawks
Packers
Cardinals

That's the order of teams id want to play based off of how we match up. A mediocre QB with great RB doesn't scare me at all. We would beat Minn comfortably. Same with Redskins. Seattle has a high ceiling defense but Wilson is no Palmer or Rodgers. Green Bay are weak but an elite QB can beat any NFL defense on any given day. Cardinals are the best all around that we could possibly face, NFC or AFC

Vikings
Redskins
Seahawks
Packers
Cardinals

That's the order of teams id want to play based off of how we match up. A mediocre QB with great RB doesn't scare me at all. We would beat Minn comfortably. Same with Redskins. Seattle has a high ceiling defense but Wilson is no Palmer or Rodgers. Green Bay are weak but an elite QB can beat any NFL defense on any given day. Cardinals are the best all around that we could possibly face, NFC or AFC

Wilson has been playing better than any QB not named Cam in the last 6 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back