• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The 2020-21 College Football Thread: Alabama Unleashes Bold Familiar Flavor on CFB !!

Central Arkansas plays in the college football opener this Saturday night!

And then they play in the 2nd college football game of the season on Thursday, September 3rd.

That is crazy.

Take the over in that game

UNC-Chapel Hill branch follows Duke with no fans in their opening home game. Odds are we won't have fans for our home opener against Clemson either

Big 10 mulling a Thankgiving weekend start to football: https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29759687/thanksgiving-weekend-start-option-big-ten-football

If the concern of starting the season in September was really the health of the players, I don't get the rationale behind waiting until the weather is miserable and everyone has to practice and play inside. It's not like the pandemic is going to disappear over the next two months; so, playing games in an environment when the transmission risk is elevated seems pointless. As we are verging on playing college football games, becoming increasingly clear that Big 10 hoped the Power V schools would follow suit and cancel, now that didn't happen and games are starting, they are regretting their decision.

yeah

said another way, if myocarditis from Covid-19 is an issue in September, how is it not an issue in November?

Big 10 mulling a Thankgiving weekend start to football: https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29759687/thanksgiving-weekend-start-option-big-ten-football

If the concern of starting the season in September was really the health of the players, I don't get the rationale behind waiting until the weather is miserable and everyone has to practice and play inside. It's not like the pandemic is going to disappear over the next two months; so, playing games in an environment when the transmission risk is elevated seems pointless. As we are verging on playing college football games, becoming increasingly clear that Big 10 hoped the Power V schools would follow suit and cancel, now that didn't happen and games are starting, they are regretting their decision.

The theory is that the students will be gone by Thanksgiving so you can have more of a bubble.

My view is that the threat of the virus is the same today as it will be all fall and as it will be next January. Either you're willing to take the risk, or you're not. When you play is largely irrelevant.

The theory is that the students will be gone by Thanksgiving so you can have more of a bubble.

My view is that the threat of the virus is the same today as it will be all fall and as it will be next January. Either you're willing to take the risk, or you're not. When you play is largely irrelevant.

I get the bubble theory, but most of the campuses are already closed, and for the ones like Purdue that are still open, the players are still practicing anyway.

The students aren't coming back after Thanksgiving so that there will be a two month break between semesters in an attempt to keep the flu season from being so bad.

Disagree. We know more about his virus than we did three months ago and we will know even more three months from now. A bubble is feasible after Thanksgiving.

I also continue to think there will be a strong movement for everyone to just get on with their lives at some point. That will only be accelerated if/when Trump is voted out in November.

Not saying things will get less political (because that never happens). But I think there will be a significant increase in the number of people ready to accept the “new normal” of a world with this virus once it doesn’t feel like it’s Trump telling them to go back to their lives.

So sometime in early ‘21.

But I’ve been wrong on a lot of this stuff, so I’ll probably be wrong about that, too.

But yeah, knowing more about the virus, combined with people not being as vigilant, means sports are more likely to be played as time goes on.

The 2020 College Football Thread: Football has a Bold New Flavor !!!!!!!!

Austin Peay vs. Central Arkansas

Who ya got!?!

Last edited:
Back