• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The 2020-21 College Football Thread: Alabama Unleashes Bold Familiar Flavor on CFB !!

Just think, with a spring football season, you could go to a Wake football game and the Masters in the same week!

Wonder if we would see an abbreviated conference-only schedule under those circumstances?

I would think they would be able to play the whole thing. College baseball runs till almost the end of June.

Other proposal I keep hearing is to start in October and play the full 12-game schedule. Not sure if that will be feasible. Also talk of a November start, but that's just crazy weather-wise.

And only one of those events will have no representation from Wake Forest.

I would think they would be able to play the whole thing. College baseball runs till almost the end of June.

Other proposal I keep hearing is to start in October and play the full 12-game schedule. Not sure if that will be feasible. Also talk of a November start, but that's just crazy weather-wise.

I think it will depend on if campuses are open in the Fall or not. February start makes sense if campuses are closed.

And the Final Four.

An ultimate sports week.
Maybe even the Super Bowl gets delayed and that’s held the same week.
Wake football, Final Four, Super Bowl and the Masters.
Dream on.....

Seems like basketball season would finish later like May or June if it also started in the winter

Wonder if we would see an abbreviated conference-only schedule under those circumstances?

would be awesome if this happens and Notre Dame plays zero games

which would never happen, but still

I am thinking 2020 or even 2021 is folly. May be much worse than anyone thought... into 2022 https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa-harvard/us-may-need-to-extend-social-distancing-for-virus-until-2022-study-says-idUSKCN21X0M2
I see major changes coming in college athletics. Maybe the coaches are actually paid too much.

Can't see making it to 2022 like this. I am hopeful that treatments like this will be successful and available by the fall: https://investor.regeneron.com/news...es-important-advances-novel-covid-19-antibody

The ACC would dive-in to save ND and offer to include them in conference games with the resulting bump in conference TV ratings. In that scenario, if ND only played ACC games and if conference championship games are played, would be interesting to see if the ACC would allow ND to play in the ACCCG. FWIW, Clemson plays at ND this year.

Sure, dive in, save ND, and make them join the conference.

On

Even if found antibodies are not vaccines. They tell who had it and if immune. Most people won’t fit that.

You missed the point of that. Antibodies can be scaled and used as treatments, if they a neutralizing. Its essentially what a vaccine creates but in this case you use it as a treatment after someone gets sick, its easier to scale and quicker to test than vaccines. Its also what China and Italy have been doing with recovered Covid-19 patient plasma, inject the plasma into sick people and help them recover. That method is the crudest of immunological treatments but can be effective. This company is just eliminating the middle man of a recovered sick person and eliminating all the non-helpful antibodies.

Here are just my current thoughts on this based on reading articles with quotes from various AD's.

Comments by AD's in a couple of articles.
AD's really want to play a football season, because the loss of that revenue would be devastating (would basically be making decisions on what programs to keep running).
They will not play college sports if college students are not on campus in the fall.
They will not play college sports without fans. (If it is not safe for fans to be there it is not safe for student-athletes to be there).
When they play they don't want to have to play a partial season because it gets shut down. (This leads me to believe that spring is starting to become more likely than fall).

A few thoughts that are my opinion.
First, there is no way college sports will return before professional sports will return. NCAA and Universities will want to watch what professional leagues do and whether there is a safe way to play before letting SA's play again.

I have a hard time seeing football starting on time this fall even if things go well. it looks unlikely that any colleges are going to have students on campus this summer, and some have already cancelled all summer camps, etc. So I expect the NCAA will ultimately extend the ban on any athletic activities until fall semester. That means in SA's being on campus doing S&C, 'voluntary' workouts, etc. Even if the students are allowed back on campus this fall the SA's will basically been on their own since mid-March - around 5 months. They are not going to be in condition to play games in a matter of weeks.

I think a college basketball season is really unlikely. It makes less money for all but 4 P5 Universities than football and having thousands of people indoors together during winter seems like a bad idea.

If professional sports are not playing games by mid-July i don't see college sports in the fall. Decisions likely have to be made before then on whether students will be on campus, and whether sports can be allowed.

I have difficulty believing that the type of testing that would be needed is going to be available this fall for the number of football games that take place each week.

I last thought.What is happening in Singapore right now causes me alot of concern. They had everything under control and then missed some cases in migrant dormitories and now have had 4,500 cases in the last 4 days, around 7,000 in the last 2 weeks - almost all their cases. if it is easy to spread in migrant dormitories, is it likely to be easy to spread in college dormitories? And if it is, does that make it less likely Universities will have students live on campus until a vaccine is ready?

https://time.com/5824039/singapore-outbreak-migrant-workers/

Back