• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The 2020-21 College Football Thread: Alabama Unleashes Bold Familiar Flavor on CFB !!

Select the best eight conference champions from the ten FBS conferences? Make conference championship games relevant? No political maneuvering? This makes sense, but this is NCAA football. It will never happen.

Do I have to pick a side between Brian Kelly and the Rose Bowl? Can't they both go fuck themselves?

^ seriously. ND finally makes a playoff (in all likelihood), and Kelly bows up with the ND brand. But he has a legit point. Part of me would like to see the Rose Bowl and NCAA call his bluff. But with others joining the rallying cry, it will get resolved.

Good Lord, I thought my attempts at growing a mustache were pathetic, Trevor Lawrence's effort is much worse.

^ seriously. ND finally makes a playoff (in all likelihood), and Kelly bows up with the ND brand. But he has a legit point. Part of me would like to see the Rose Bowl and NCAA call his bluff. But with others joining the rallying cry, it will get resolved.

On one hand, I could see this as Brian Kelly simply throwing ND weight around. On the other, it could be Brian Kelly using his position to point out the inconsistencies between the governor of California hosting a dinner for a large (in excess of guidelines) number of people at an indoor venue yet prohibiting members of the players' families, maybe a few thousand, from being present to watch their sons play for a national championship. For many, a once in a lifetime event. And the venue is a giant outdoor stadium capable of seating nearly 100,000 people. Pretty easy to create social distance between families.

In this one, I come down on the Notre Dame Brian Kelly side. Tickets only to schools players families. Pre-entry Covid test required , possibly. That shouldn't be hard to do for a "crowd" of 1,000 - 2,000.

On one hand, I could see this as Brian Kelly simply throwing ND weight around. On the other, it could be Brian Kelly using his position to point out the inconsistencies between the governor of California hosting a dinner for a large (in excess of guidelines) number of people at an indoor venue yet prohibiting members of the players' families, maybe a few thousand, from being present to watch their sons play for a national championship. For many, a once in a lifetime event. And the venue is a giant outdoor stadium capable of seating nearly 100,000 people. Pretty easy to create social distance between families.

In this one, I come down on the Notre Dame Brian Kelly side. Tickets only to schools players families. Pre-entry Covid test required , possibly. That shouldn't be hard to do for a "crowd" of 1,000 - 2,000.

It could also be Brian Kelly being a self centered pompous asshole. Never forget Declan Sullivan

At precisely 4:50 pm, a 50-foot scissor lift tower collapsed in winds exceeding 50 mph, killing the 20-year-old student filming football practice for the team. It shouldn't have come to that.

The Midwest has been buffeted by powerful storms this week, with the lowest non-hurricane barometric pressure ever recorded in the continental US. It spawned tornadoes, hail and gale force winds.

With winds on Tuesday reaching 52 mph, Brian Kelly was forced to take practice inside to the Loftus Center, which he despises. In the spring he was forced to use it during a lightning storm, but promptly went back outside once the lightning stopped. So you know the winds must have been bad on Tuesday.

They were just as bad yesterday. According to a South Bend meteorologist, Wednesday's winds were at their strongest at right before 5:00 pm, with sustained winds around 40 mph and gusts of 53 mph. That peak gust coincides with the time Declan Sullivan's tower fell.

The tower should not have been up in the first place, regardless of whether practice should have been outdoors. The most common warning on scissor lifts is about using them in high winds. The South Bend Tribune spoke to one manufacturer who says they shouldn't be raised if winds exceed 25 mph. Yesterday, they were twice that.

https://deadspin.com/how-a-notre-dame-student-died-and-why-he-shouldnt-have-5675694

And anybody who said this year would be a great year to expand the playoffs to eight teams with the champion of every P5 conference and three at large teams should be forced to watch the PAC 12 CG from last night where two-loss Oregon got its fourth win agains SoCal. That conference does not deserve an automatic bid to the playoffs.

Travis Etienne could really use a good close to the season. He would have been a top 20 pick in 2020 but doesn't appear to be a first rounder in 2021.

He had 18 carries for 28 yeards against ND earlier this year in his only game against a good defense.

Surprising no one:

The University of Tennessee football program is currently being investigated by its own compliance department and the NCAA into alleged recruiting violations and alleged impermissible benefits to current student-athletes.

According to sources, the University’s general counsel has been interviewing subjects that are the focus of the investigation over the past several weeks. Multiple sources suggest the investigation dates back to at least early December.

The alleged violations are said to involve players recruited by Tennessee and players currently on the roster.

Before the game, it was announced that Brian Maurer and Eric Gray would not be available, though no reason was given.

https://fanrunradio.com/breaking-tennessee-football-under-investigation-by-compliance-and-ncaa/

I gotta say it, Justin Fields so far without his best receivers isn't any better then Jake Fromm without his best receivers. Fields is definitely a better runner though.

It almost looks like OSU hasn’t played in weeks and is missing 20+ players

It almost looks like OSU hasn’t played in weeks and is missing 20+ players

If only they had started in September.

The committee should definitely look at player availability when selecting the fourth team. If whoes guys are out 21 days, they're out of the playoff. If they play anything like they are right now, they will lose to Alabama by 50.

Back