• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The amazingly bizarre Josh Shaw story (NWT)

RollWave35

#KeepPounding
Reaction score
Anybody been keeping up with this?

Shaw is USC's top cornerback and was named team captain for this season. USC announced on Monday that Shaw suffered high ankle sprains on both legs after jumping from a second-story balcony to save his drowning nephew, who was alone in a pool and without help nearby during a family party on Saturday night.

Everybody thought it was the best story of the year, tweeting comments such as...

"God Bless You, Josh. You made all us fans proud. you are the reason I love USC"

"Man what an awesome dude. Your parents must be beaming right now. Inspiration to us all. Good luck to you and your future. I hope you get back 10 fold of what you gave."

"Josh Shaw is a real man and a real hero. I don't need to know anymore about him to know who he is."

And so on.

Well yesterday USC coach Steve Sarkisian said they'd received calls contradicting Shaw's story and they were "vetting" everything. I think that's pretty much the last official statement that's been released.

TMZ Sports filed this story last night:

USC football player Josh Shaw was named in a burglary report ... stemming from an incident that went down Saturday night ... law enforcement sources tell TMZ Sports.

We're told Shaw was NOT named as a suspect in the burglary.
Here's the breakdown -- we're told someone called police to report a suspicious person "shimmying" down the side of a building in downtown L.A. near the USC campus. The tipster gave a description of the suspicious person to police.

We're told cops went to the building to investigate -- and spoke to a woman who lived in the building. Cops gave the woman the description of the suspicious person and asked if she had seen anyone who matched the description.

We're told the woman said, "Yes, that sounds like my boyfriend Josh Shaw."

Cops took a "burglary report" -- even though nothing was reported stolen -- and in it, mentioned the connection to Shaw.

Cops later spoke with Shaw on the phone and the USC football player denied ever being at the building.

http://www.tmz.com/2014/08/26/uscs-...rt-cops-speak-to-football-star/#ixzz3Bb8gNony

Such a weird story.

Should be pretty easy to find out if he saved his nephew or not

We're told cops went to the building to investigate -- and spoke to a woman who lived in the building. Cops gave the woman the description of the suspicious person and asked if she had seen anyone who matched the description.

We're told the woman said, "Yes, that sounds like my boyfriend Josh Shaw."

I'm guessing that now is ex-boyfriend Josh Shaw.

Hadn't heard the burglary part, but did see a lot of Sarkisian's comments which seemed really weird at the time if you believed in your player. Makes more sense with the burglary info.

If you're going to make up a lie, at least make it something that the national media isn't going to blow into a huge deal.

This reminds of the advice my Father gave me before going off to college. He said, "Son - if you ever choose to spy on your girlfriend by climbing out over a neighbor's deck and then shimmying down a drain pipe, for the love of God remember to tape your ankles first."

It was good advice then and good advice now.

Come on 'let rj announce burglary' tagger, go with 'let rj announce LIE'

One of the writers on USCFootball.com put this on their Scout board:

I got a call last night from someone I trust who had information about this story being false. I won't go into all the details but it did involve law enforcement and did not involve saving anyone from drowning.

Before that I had a feeling there was something strange about this story. And the more people I talked to, the more it seemed like others felt something was off as well.

The timeline didn't make much sense. If Josh Shaw drove to Palmdale after Salute to Troy, that would mean that this 7 year old was out by the pool alone at 10pm or later. I guess that situation could happen,but it seems rather unlikely.

Also the reaction after USC released the story was overwhelmingly positive from USC fans and the media. But we saw only one current USC player post an original Tweet about Shaw. One other player retweeted a couple of media Tweets and that was it. For a captain on the team to save a kid's life and get hurt in the process, wouldn't his teammates be talking about it? They weren't.

If players had heard something different from what USC released, it would make sense that they would not Tweet anything about it. But if the players knew something, shouldn't USC have known something too?

If Shaw's story was false, it seems like there are two possibilities here, either USC knew the story was false and it was part of some coverup or they believed the story and ran with it without checking any of it out first. My guess is the latter considering Sark had to do a reversal today.

Dan Weber reported earlier that both Steve Sarkisian and J.K. McKay interrogated Shaw extensively about his story sometime yesterday. Sark then said today after practice that he had received calls questioning Shaw's story within the past couple of hours.

The strangest part about this story is Josh Shaw IS a well liked, great guy who we have not heard a bad word about. It would make the saving his nephew story that much more believable. But now, there are just so many questions that the original story USC released seems unlikely to be true.

We are talking with a police source right now. Will let you know what I find out.
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=15&f=1720&t=13081434

Lying usually works, unfortunately.

In this case, lying about spying on his GF, maybe blows up in his face, and his ankles.

If this guy can't go at CB on Thursday night against A&M, who will Spurrier start?

His story was too good to be true. Why wasn't anybody else running past the crawling Shaw to save the kid? Way to go, Asshole.

Official statement:

USC senior cornerback Josh Shaw came to USC athletic department officials this afternoon (Wednesday, Aug. 27) and admitted that he had lied about how he suffered his ankle injuries over the weekend.

He said that the story he told of rescuing his nephew in a pool in Palmdale, Calif., was a complete fabrication. He apologized for misleading his coaches, teammates, athletic department officials and the public.

"We are extremely disappointed in Josh," said USC head football coach Steve Sarkisian. "He let us all down. As I have said, nothing in his background led us to doubt him when he told us of his injuries, nor did anything after our initial vetting of his story.

"I appreciate that Josh has now admitted that he lied and has apologized. Although this type of behavior is out of character for Josh, it is unacceptable. Honesty and integrity must be at the center of our program. I believe Josh will learn from this. I hope that he will not be defined by this incident, and that the Trojan Family will accept his apology and support him."

Sarkisian said that Shaw has been suspended indefinitely from all team activities.

Shaw has retained Donald Etra as legal counsel. Etra will issue a statement on Shaw's behalf soon.

USC regrets the posting of the initial story on Monday (Aug. 25).

http://www.usctrojans.com/blog/2014/08/shaw-admits-he-lied.html

Back