• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Bad News Law Schools

Lawyer

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/20/the-bad-news-law-schools/?emc=eta1

In fact, that news was itself not so new. Uneasiness about the state of legal education has been around for some time, but in the wake of the financial meltdown of 2008, uneasiness ripened into a conviction that something was terribly wrong as law school applications declined, thousands of lawyers lost their jobs, employers complained that law school graduates had not been trained to practice law, and law school graduates complained that they had been led into debt by false promises of employment and high salaries. And while all this was happening, law schools continued to raise tuition, take in more and more students, and construct elaborate new facilities.

I am now thinking I should stay in as long as I can in hopes that the situation gets better. Glad I go to a cheap LS.

People look at the bad numbers and still decide to go. I can only think they're betting on themselves to beat the odds, which is good, but only 50% can be in the top 50%.

I think it's interesting that less than 25% of attorneys are members of the ABA yet the ABA sets the standard for law school accreditation. There are too many damn law schools, but they make good money for universities and they keep popping up.

I'm so sick of hearing kids whine that went to shitty law schools that they can't get a job and are drowning in a mountain of debt. You made a poor investment. You're too stupid to get a job if you thought that paying $250k to go to Thomas Jefferson School of Law was a good idea.

I think it's interesting that less than 25% of attorneys are members of the ABA yet the ABA sets the standard for law school accreditation. There are too many damn law schools, but they make good money for universities and they keep popping up.

I'm so sick of hearing kids whine that went to shitty law schools that they can't get a job and are drowning in a mountain of debt. You made a poor investment. You're too stupid to get a job if you thought that paying $250k to go to Thomas Jefferson School of Law was a good idea.

4real. Got a friend that went to the Charlotte School of Law. It's going to suck for him when he finishes this year I'd imagine.

I don't know if you heard but:

2.5 average state school GPA + 130 LSAT + $250k = ticket to success

I don't know if you heard but:

2.5 average state school GPA + 130 LSAT + $250k = ticket to success

Shouldn't that be -250k. Your version makes me want to go back and fail more classes and not answer a bunch of LSAT questions.

I think he is saying you add your GPA your LSAT and your money together to get to your ticket.

I am now thinking I should stay in as long as I can in hopes that the situation gets better. Glad I go to a cheap LS.

It won't. 45,000 LS grads a year for 25,000 new jobs. Add in things like Legal Zoom and outsourcing various "law" tasks to other countries and it will only get worse.

I think you meant to say the George Jefferson School of Law

georgewashingtonjefferson.jpg

I understand some of the criticisms on this topic (though the cracks about test scores and "TTT" schools are silly), but schools need to be held accountable for lying about job prospects. For many students, especially those whose parents aren't lawyers, there is no other way to gauge job prospects than by listening to what the law schools tell them.

I'd like to see a poll of all lawyers 55 and over who thought seriously about their career/salary trajectory before going to law school. I'd bet the number is very low.

I used to lurk on JD Underground right after finishing undergrad. An entertaining lot, but downright depressing sometimes.

It won't. 45,000 LS grads a year for 25,000 new jobs. Add in things like Legal Zoom and outsourcing various "law" tasks to other countries and it will only get worse.

Good points, how many old timers are dropping dead tho? The Baby Boomers are moving on, to some extent.

(all wishful thinking I know)

Good points, how many old timers are dropping dead tho? The Baby Boomers are moving on, to some extent.

(all wishful thinking I know)

dude, the baby boomers can't afford to retire--the average lawya (suthern or otherwise) don't make as much as you make think he do.

I understand some of the criticisms on this topic (though the cracks about test scores and "TTT" schools are silly), but schools need to be held accountable for lying about job prospects. For many students, especially those whose parents aren't lawyers, there is no other way to gauge job prospects than by listening to what the law schools tell them.

I'd like to see a poll of all lawyers 55 and over who thought seriously about their career/salary trajectory before going to law school. I'd bet the number is very low.

The cracks on test scores are justified when you have people with average to below average intellect attending expensive awful law schools with the unrealistic expectations. For those who are 55 and older, law school and higher education in general was much different than it is today, especially with the boom in prices and availability of loans. The people that go to schools like the TJ School of Law would have been shit out of luck 30 years ago because there weren't law schools that took in dumb people by the masses.

I'd like to see a poll of law school applicants who thought seriously about working as a lawyer every day of their lives for the next 40 years. I bet the number is very low. I would then like to compare that number with applicants for med school, engineering programs, PhD programs, etc. with regard to their respective careers. I think you'd have a lot less law schools if applicants gave actual thought to being a lawyer as opposed to thinking that money would fall into their lap upon graduation.

Back