• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The best book you ever read?

The Stand & Kane and Abel are two off the top of my head...so many though.

Good thread topic!

I read Slaughterhouse 5 last year and it was good, but not great, to me. So it goes, I guess.

I am currently reading All the King's Men, which is very good thus far.

Although essentially just a short story, I was really blown away by Of Mice and Men, which I finished a few months ago. I had read it in high school, but I suppose I just wasn't mature enough to really appreciate it at that age. I also recently read The Old Man and the Sea, which was very good as well. I'm bracing myself to dive into some William Faulkner again. I read a couple of his novels while at Wake, but I want to try it again.

Last edited:
All The King's Men is great. Catch 22 is really good. the Sound and the Fury is my favorite book. I've somehow never read anything by Steinbeck which will probably be my next read.

All The King's Men is great. Catch 22 is really good. the Sound and the Fury is my favorite book. I've somehow never read anything by Steinbeck which will probably be my next read.

I read Catch 22 last year. Good stuff. Hilarious and depressing at the same time.

I'll take your advice and read The Sound and the Fury first before I tackle any other Faulkner.

I made a New Year's resolution last year to read 35 books (which I kept), and followed it up with the same resolution this year. Taking the time to actually sit down and read good books has been a big positive change in the pace of my life.

I highly recommend The Caine Mutiny as well. A western novel called The Oxbow Incident was excellent, too.

Mine wold probably be Libra or the Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay. I guess that makes me post-modern.

Not sure I'd call DeLillo or Chabon "postmodern"

A Confederacy of Dunces.

The Neon Bible, also by Toole, is also excellent. Crazy that he wrote it when he was 16 years old.

Lion's Game by Nelson Demille. read it after my finals senior year and while it may not be the most educational or trendy pick, to this date is the only book ive read multiple times

where-the-red-fern-grows.jpg

Bros. Karamazov or For Whom the Bell Tolls

but I also really enjoyed Anna Karenina, Les Mis, and Lord of the Rings, so apparently I'm ok with bloat.

Favorite book is Count of Monte Cristo

Back