• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The "Bridge" Theory

JimDuncan

Reaction score
Some people have floated the notion that Jeff [Redacted] is a "bridge" coach - brought in to clean things up and put us on another path. No more "majoring in pre-NBA" or March flame-outs due to speculated late night shenanigans ala before Cleveland St. (I don't know if those are true things, just citing common reasons for "culture change").

The "bridge theory" does fall square in-line with Ron's statement that "Jeff has done everything we've asked of him" which I think we've seen in several of the Journal interviews.

That said, what are your thoughts on the "bridge theory"? Both the premise itself and then Jeff [Redacted] as the "bridge" guy.

My personal opinion - I don't know all the behind the scenes. I felt like Dino wasn't the long term solution, but that is more from a pure coaching perspective. I think he did an adequate job given the circumstances and installed a very successful Pack-Line defense, but we lacked on the "O-ffensive" (RIP Majerus) side of the game considering our NBA-level talent. I thought a coaching change was needed. And then when we hired Bz...big head scratcher. Like "Wait, we hired WHO???? I've never even heard of this guy." Since then, I was Bz In, Bz Wait, and now Buzz Out - we need a new coach. I don't mind Jeff as a person, just not the guy I want at Wake.

Also, the bridge theory does jive with Jeff not bringing any staff to Wake. Probably the only explanation, really.

Bridge to what? The Bridge theory implies that Battle or Rusty is the coach in waiting. Retaining a 3 year interim and replacing him with a 3 year bridge only to hire a brand new coach and staff makes no sense.

Bridge to what is a good question but I've always felt that was the case.

Any thoughts on Battle taking over after Bz resigns.

if thats the case, its just awful. a one year bridge is workable with no other options. 3 years is most of a players career. i would hope we wouldn't do that to our guys.

also, he's a bridge to nowhere

I buy somewhat into the theory I've heard from people that [Redacted] was brought in to groom Rusty into the job. I started hearing rumors of that during the beginning of year 1 of the [Redacted] Era.

I've maintained that Wellman's endgame is to handover the reigns to Rusty. Wellman brought in Bz to mentor Rusty and prepare him to be our coach of the future. That's why Battle didn't just get promoted when Dino was canned.

I agree..."bridge to what" is a great question. If Ron felt the program needed a new direction/cleaning, then he must've had the foresight to plot the next move beyond the bridge. But I'm less confident in that he's done that. He may have felt he'd get a couple decent years out of Buzz, let him finish his contract, and then "go big/long-term". The execution of whatever strategy he has created seems to be going awry.

It's a bad idea if you true. Bringing in a coach to build mediocrity off what was it? 3 20 win seasons that ended in frustration?

Unless you tell Bzd beforehand - "listen, I don't think you'll be even a .500 coach in the ACC. What I want you to do is clean up the program and recruit some diamond in the rough kids with no tats and two parents. This will cause you to suffer in ways you won't imagine. You won't be able to go to the grocery store without people asking you to quit. You will never be loved by the fanbase. You won't be liked. In fact, you'll be loathed. At the end of this bridge period, the fans will celebrate your departure like they just won an Elite 8 game. Also, we can't pay you big money because we have money tied up with Dino.

1 mil a season is big money, especially was to a coach with [Redacted]'s mediocre (putting it nicely) track record.

I buy somewhat into the theory I've heard from people that [Redacted] was brought in to groom Rusty into the job. I started hearing rumors of that during the beginning of year 1 of the [Redacted] Era.

i cannot think of a worse mentor. Roy was taught by Dean Smith. Coach K was taught by Bobby Knight.

If Rusty Larue is the pot of gold at the end of the [Redacted] bridge, then I quit! Gah!

If Rusty Larue is the pot of gold at the end of the [Redacted] bridge, then I quit! Gah!

If it ever was truly Wellman's plan, then it is surely dashed at this point.

Wellman could not have thought that we would still be this shit in year 3. He had to have expected bigger progress by now when he made the hire. After that relevant upswing I bet he wanted to make the move.

The best laid plans of mice and men...

Back